Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fair Fair

To begin with, I am not a huge fan of these sorts of events. Some people love them. And music festivals. I like parts - like the people watching can be fun and entertaining. And sometimes there are teeny bits here and there that are interesting. But overall, I find them hot, crowded, costly and not all that entertaining. This NYS Fair was no exception, sadly.

Mom really wanted to go, though it looked like it wasn't going to happen for a while. She was feeling sick and taking a long time to get ready. Just when I was about to settle in and get some work done on Diary of a Plate Addict, she announced she was ready to go!

Parking cost $5 - but mom got in free as it was Senior Citizen Day. Sadly, I had already bought her a ticket. Oh well. Life goes on. We parked in the handicap lot and took a tractor-pulled tram/trailer thing to the Horticulture building. Neither of us had any interest in it. First stop - the interactive animal tent - which was mom's main reason for wanting to go. She wanted to pet a llama. There were two - well, one was an alpaca but they seem awfully similar. She got to pet lots of critters and I have a good bit of it on video tape. Next stop, some food. We had Italian Sausage and fries. Pretty good.

While lunching, I asked mom to mark on the program and map what she wanted to do. I know, this was a bit silly of me. But seriously, I didn't really want to be there at all - this was her outing, I wanted her to take some responsibility for the adventure. She picked a few things and we proceeded to accomplish those. We got to see the butter sculpture and the sand sculpture. We saw other animals and watched a Native American dance program. We also wandered through a few exhibits here and there.

All in all, we survived. Yippee!

Pictures from August 30, 2011:


The petting zoo


Lunch


Native American dancers from a wide variety of tribes

No comments: