Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Totally Tuesday

It was such a Tuesday yesterday. I mean, everything came in twos.

Ok, no, it didn't. I just thought that would be funny. Was it?

Hi, how are you? I am fine. Thank you for the box of chocolates...

Moving on. Tuesday was a pleasant day in the world we know as Augustus's world. Ran more errands, without mom. This started a bit frustratingly, due to my flaky CD player in my car. Sometimes, without rhyme nor reason (that I have been able to ascertain) it won't read my CD. So I try ejecting and re-inserting until it works. I even bang, ineffectually, on the front of the player. Sigh. But it started working - so I got to listen to the Wheel of Time book. Yippee! Then it was bank, library, dollar store and Staples.

I don't like the little plastic baskets I got at the dollar store - I was looking for some sort of way to organize the re-usable plastic bags shelf. Hmm. I will keep working on that. At Staples, I got two little tripods in hopeful anticipation that I will, one day, get a video camera. I am still waiting on advice from my nephew Kyle about which ones might be appropriate. I don't know how long I will have to wait. Trying to exercise patience...

Oh, forgot one errand - I stopped at Wegman's to get advance tickets to the State Fair. Not sure what day we are going to go, but we are going to go. Mom changed her mind and then changed back again about going. We shall see how it transpires.

We got the kitchen painted! Well, one wall. Dave, a contractor for our handyman, Don, came and did a great job painting the last kitchen wall. I got to clean a little bit, which is always good. And today I get to rehang all the things that were taken down, though not everything will go back up...

The big excitement yesterday was trying a new-to-me restaurant: Ports Market and Cafe located a little way down the West side of Seneca Lake from Geneva. I have wanted to try this place for a couple of years. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. First off, we had to wait - even though we had reservations. Not long, but it seemed longer perched on chairs in their entry way. Then, we waited again before a server, Nancy, came to greet us. I like the Saucer rule of 30 seconds to greet your table - even if you can't really do much for them, at least you can greet them! That set the pace for the evening, though. A lot of waiting. True, everything is made to order, but still. I don't generally mind waiting, but it was incredible loud in the restaurant as well. I mean, I couldn't speak in a normal voice and have my mom hear me and she was sitting across a teeny table. The food that we ate was all tasty and pretty. We shared a cup of mushroom soup - lots of port or something in it. Yum. Mom had a seafood stuffed halibut entree with smashed potatoes and veggies - I had a shrimp pasta dish - (I didn't really like the sauce) with a side of veggies (that were mostly undercooked) and garlic bread (mine is better). I would have liked to have had dessert, but mom was ready to go, so we left. All in all, it seems like an ok place foodwise - just not a place I will eagerly return to.

Pictures from August 16, 2011:


The kitchen wall "before."


The kitchen wall "after."


Ports Market and Cafe.

No comments: