Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Discombobulation

Working on this piece of performing arts (the opera) is messing with my brain a little bit. I truly had forgotten how much I enjoy working in the theater. And why I went to graduate school to get my MFA in directing. I still have faint hopes for the existence of my theatre company (Working name, Sirius Theatre) to become a reality - but in the meantime, I think I will need to find an outlet for this interest at least once a year - regardless of the level of professionalism. This group, not the most, nor the least professional, is just fine.

Al is directing the piece like a Gilbert and Sullivan piece - which is appropriate and is going to go over well with audiences. I don't know how large an audience these things get - I hope big ones - it will certainly be enjoyable. The cast is nice - haven't had much interaction with it, since I am just a tech hand, but that is ok. Susanne is getting amazing things accomplished. The tech is slowly coming together. All in all, yippee!

For the lunch break, I picked mom up and we went to the Leaf Kitchen, finally. Tatiana was our server (she is the co-owner along with Jack the chef). A tad on the pricey side (but what isn't nowadays) but yummy. Mom had a great looking cheeseburger. We shared a Poutine of fries with gravy and goat cheese - and I had a chicken tostada. Yum!

Mom helped me to an epiphany, of sorts. If I do end up taking a class at HWS this fall, I think it will be a language class. Maybe even Spanish, since I have never had a formal class in that language. I have tried to teach myself several times - starting back in 6th grade when I had a Spanish language teaching record - all I remember from that, complete with accent is "Hola Isabel, Como estas?" The problem is, one doesn't run into many Isabels... :) And I still want to take game design computer classes at FLCC. With the work in the theatre, I haven't had a lot of time to do all the other stuff on my plate. We might have Thursday off, but I have mostly promised that to mom - Harry Potter and Friendly's are on tap. Sigh.

Lots to do - I really need to make a list - and I am not doing it. Lists really help me! When I take the time to make them...

Met two very different women yesterday, both of whom appeal, in very different ways. One is obviously wrong for me and the other doesn't live in Geneva or at all nearby (and seems to have a boyfriend, though I don't really know what is going on there). Oh well, we will just have to wait and see if anything comes of these kismetical (my new word creation) meetings.

Pictures from August 2, 2011:


The view from my bed as I write my blog in Geneva.


It is in a tough location, but I hope they thrive and surive!


The principals rehearsing for the Opera this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Discombobulation is one of my favorite words. i like it almost as much as the words clusterfuck and twitterpated.
Apparently I like theater people. My x was also a theater major. While he did not pursue theater after college he is a very entertaining person & bar tender.
You speak Chinese, German, French etc. but you have never taken a class..........
Geez some people gets smarts enough for 5 people.

Augustus said...

Hi Patricia! Yay theatre people - I actually don't like them all that well myself. Weird...I think I mislead - I have taken lots of classes, just one in Spanish...I only got smarts enough for 1 person. And sometimes that is questionable. :)