Friday, August 5, 2011

Mixed Bag

Yesterday was a mixed bag - mostly good. Yippee! But be warned, my mood just now is a little dark, probably from the bizarre (yet entertaining) dreams I had last night. And women. Sigh.

Yesterday was supposed to be a day off from the Opera. We were, though, so far behind on the lights, since our lighting designer had to leave town for a funeral, that we got called in. I think I hurt myself (ok, not really, but I could have) pulling all of the lines onstage by myself. The poor principals just had to stand around. Basically we did do the cue to cue that I thought we ought to do - great minds think alike, but focused on the lights. I think vast improvements were made. We shall, of course, see (tee hee - light - see...nevermind) the results tonight at the first performance. Julie and I had a chat, and I was a little tongue tied and flustered. How weird is that? Oh well, life is that way sometimes. She said she wanted to pull a line once - that might be able to happen at some point. Overall, things went smoothly and we were only there for three hours.

Some friends of Gena's came to town and watched some of the rehearsal. Afterwards we chatted a bit - turns out that they are huge opera buffs and had a great respect for Anna Schoen-Rene - my great Aunt, who was an opera singing teacher. One of them said that she was more impressed to be meeting me than to be meeting someone related to a president!

Before that, mom and I had made plans to see the last Harry Potter movie and to dine out at Friendly's. So, despite the Opera call, we managed to do both. Has everyone seen the movie already? Or have plans to? If you read the books or have seen the other movies, it is worth going to see. Some of the exposition really helped me to understand what happened in the books and overall story. Yippee! And it was fun to see all the magic!

Friendly's was Friendly's. We had a new to us server, Lorena, who was very nice. Mom and I both ordered from the combo menu so we got a drink and a sundae with our meals. We ended up taking the sundaes and half of our meals back to the house. Which is a good thing. Mom had her stuff for dinner (since our Friendly's visit was really a late lunch) and I had mine when I returned from the Opera. Sadly, or humorously, mom ate my sundae instead of hers. I should have had a clue when she told me that she didn't taste any coffee in hers. Sigh.

I am enjoying my Great Lakes beer. Not scintillating, but certainly palatable. All four varieties in the variety pack are toothsome. I like the porter best. Not a big surprise.

I saw on the internet that the Turkish women went to Niagara Falls. They definitely have found someone else to take them around. Good for them! Now, I guess, I am off the hook for cooking them dinner. Always trying to find the silver lining...

PS More comments and more followers please! And if you want to, please "Like" the Diary of a Plate Addict page on Facebook! (Thank you Paul!)

Pictures from August 4, 2011:


I was going to take a picture of the movie poster, but couldn't find one...


Our Friendly's food.

4 comments:

Jeffrois said...

I went to see "Cowboys & Aliens." If you're ever teaching a theatre class and you need something that illustrates the concept "outrageous coincidence," that would be it.

Augustus said...

I will keep that in mind if I see it!

Pablo said...

I've been enjoying Great Lakes beer all week. Edmond Fitgerald porter and the Elliott Ness. They are supposed to be arriving on top in Raleigh in the fall!!! Something to look forward to.

Augustus said...

Hola Pablo! :) I life the Great lakes Beer too - I think those were both in the Sample Pack I had recently. Yippee for them coming to Raleigh. I am hoping some of my favorite NC beers will appear up here in Geneva. Ha!