Friday, August 26, 2011

Pizza on the Patio at Billsboro Winery

That was the highpoint of the day. It looked iffy for a long time that we would make it. Mom was feeling and acting especially feeble yesterday. Sometimes I see her in her bed and I just feel an overwhelming sadness. Oh well. Life goes on. Yippee!

So, not a lot happened yesterday for me. I did get closer to getting into the Spanish class. I met with the professor, a nice man from Peru and we had a little chat - all in English, thankfully. He thought it would be fine for me to join the class. I had a minor epiphany: I can find someone who wants to review the first semester to help me catch up. We shall see who is willing.

Other than that, I puttered all day - working on Spanish - finally finished chapter 2 - and working on Diary of a Plate Addict. I got through page 60 of the text finally. It is going really slowly. Tedium is too nice a word. I am sick unto death of the damn thing. Grrr. It will be so nice to call it a wrap.

Last event of the day, pizza on the patio at the Billsboro Winery. Jim, whose last name escapes me, was responsible for us going. He mentioned that Vinny the Vintner, tee hee, at the Billsboro Winery also went in for beer. I thought any vintner who also respected beer couldn't be all bad. So I went for a tasting (as loyal followers might recall from a week or so ago). And they had a sign touting their Pizza on the Patio. Seemed like a good mom activity. Lots of sitting. :) So I signed us up.

We got there around 6:30 and the place was pretty full. We sat at a table with three other people who we have never met. I like that sort of thing. They were very nice. Terry Acree was entertaining and knew a lot of the same people we knew. His daughter, Katherine and her friend Emily, though young, were also entertaining. Perhaps they were entertaining because they were young (15 is young, isn't it? - I mean, not to them, obviously, but to most people?).

Dinner was a long time coming - I mean a long time - I think it took two hours for our two pizzas to arrive. They were good - but not really worth the two hour wait. Luckily we did get to chat with people - a women, Betty Bayer, came up and chatted with mom for a while. After she had left mom said the greatest thing "Why do people remember me when I don't remember them?" I really had no answer for her, other than the obvious - she is memorable!

So, overall, fun. I doubt we will go again, though this sort of thing is definitely something I will be looking out for!

Ok, I have to get to work if I am going to accomplish anything today. I moved the trip to the State Fair to next week, so that I could spend some time on the book. And so far, I have been awake for almost 2 hours and haven't done much on it. Sigh.

Photos from August 25, 2011:


Katherine (or Catherine - I forgot to ask), Emily and Terry - our table mates.


Betty Bayer chatting with mom.


Oh, that's what the pizza looked like. By the time it came, it was pitch black and impossible to see what we were eating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two hours! Yikes, I hope you got drinks or desert on the house.

Augustus said...

Ha! Nope. :) We did have a lovely view until it got too dark to see it...