Thursday, June 30, 2011

Driving back from NC

After a long, long day of driving, mom and I made it home to Geneva safely. Hurrah! I got up pretty early, at least for me, and got on the road. Two and a half hours later, I had arrived at Bosey's house in Union Grove. Mom was up and packed and we didn't dawdle too much there. Mom had a great time there! Hurrah! And thank you, big time, Bosey!!! We will have to do it again. :)

Next up, the drive North. My GPS said it would be about 12 hours with no stops. Arg. The trip went remarkably well. We did stop for gas and some food - well, food-like substances. I do like the occasional bit of fast food - maybe once or twice a month - pizza is not fast food, by the way... - this time it was Arby's. Curly fries! Yippee!

Next stop, a scenic overlook in Pennsylvania. Mom didn't get out of the car. She was being a trooper all things considered, but she just didn't want to get out. Oh well. It was gorgeous! Then to get gas in Williamsport, PA. And I saw a sign! Not an omen sort of sign, a sign I had seen years ago and then off and on again since - a sign for the Bullfrog Brewery and Eatery! Yippee!! It was dinner time, so I suggested we stop there.

It wasn't difficult to find (thank you GPS). Cool building, nice staff, good food, passable beer. Evan, the host, took us to a table all the way in the back. Good thing, since there was jazz in the main space and it would have been a tad difficult to chat. Brooke was our server, she had worked there 10 years and was from a town about 50 miles away. She was great! We ordered a meal to share between us - if I eat too much, I can get sleepy while driving, which isn't good - and mom doesn't really eat that much at any one meal. And we still had leftovers. Probably lunch today.

One of the upsides of mom's alzheimer's is that I can tell her my thoughts over and over again and she doesn't get bored hearing them. And I can refine them by bouncing them off her - she is still thoughtful and intelligent, just a little (ok, a lot) forgetful. So I can tell her my ideas for selling Diary of a Plate Addict, running for president, my self-help book, my theatre company... etc.

We finally got home around 10:30 pm. Phew! I unloaded the car and basically went straight to bed. Though I did take time out to write back to a Plenty of Fish woman who had written me back. Yippee! Hope springs eternal...

Pictures from June 29, 2011:


Mom and Bosey posing in the sunroom of Bosey and Bob's house!


I tend to forget negative experiences (generally) pretty quickly. I had completely forgotten that we got stopped by construction blasting for half on hour in PA. Weird.


One of the vistas from the Scenic Overlook in PA near Williamsport.


The Bullfrog Brewery and Eatery. A must visit if you are ever in Williamsport, PA and like beer and food.

2 comments:

Sam said...

I love driving through that part of Pennsylvania ... too bad yr mom wouldn't get out of the car but hey that's why we have cameras

Augustus said...

I love that route - 15 and 11 up through PA and NY! Yippee!