Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Awesome Day

Ok, awesome might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it was certainly a good day.

Got up and did the normal stuff. A little routine is always good. Then helped Nancy navigate the wifi which was fun. Eventually I headed out into the world to take care of bidness (sic).

The main reason for this visit, well, one of two main reasons, was to get my car looked after. Car stuff. I got a replacement wiper (and installed it myself - aren't I handy?). Got the oil changed and tires rotated at Just Tires. I still haven't figured out where the nearest Just Tires is to me. I just looked on the internet and it seems the closest is in Maryland. Poop. Anyway, that is where I got my tires and they offer free life time tire rotations with an oil change! Saves a few shekels. Next, car inspection, which the car passed with flying colors (or at least it passed...). Yippee!

Next, I headed to the house in Clayton to collect more stuff to bring back to Geneva. A few bottle openers, my wonderful peeler - if you haven't read about the peeler - back in the archives, there is some verbiage about it. Love that peeler. My mandoline (pronounced Leeen not Line) (Thank you Jimmy). Some theatre books (one on dialects that I thought I had lost - a makeup book and a couple others). Some clothes. And a few movies. All in all two big plastic tubs worth of stuff. Yippee! Sadly, I love my stuff! Trying to be unattached - and mostly succeeding, but it will be good to have this crap with me.

Then a pleasant evening at the Saucer. My table, that I thought I had reserved, was occupied by two nice people - Lesley (I apologize if I misspelled your name - I forgot to ask how it was spelled) and Danielle (ditto) who kindly offered to move when I told them that it was my table. Lesley mentioned that she and some friends used to frequent the Saucer and had noticed my plates and wondered who I was. Now she wonders no longer. :) Anyway, the second reason for me coming down was to finish my 19th plate - my Austin plate. I started the day having only 6 beers left. At the end of the day, I somehow had seven left. I don't know what that is about, but it will get fixed today I am sure. I have again, asked that the table be reserved for me (since I am only in town for four days). Anyway, Cate joined me, as did Eric and Nancy. A few regulars came in and we all nodded at each other. Bob came and chatted for a while. Very pleasant!

Later, Cate and I had dinner at Fai Thai. We had wanted to go to Pie Bird but they were closed on Mondays. We had yummy food and a good server (Laura). Yippee!

Last night I woke up around 3 and didn't go back to sleep for a long while - maybe 2 hours. Had some wacky James Bond-esque dreams. But part of the reason I was awake was for thinking.

There were two thoughts that came from The Tipping Point that I wanted to share. I figured out why I am attracted to women who smoke. According to the book and to research, smokers are perceived as risk takers and as cool people. Both are attractive to me. The second thought is about my sometime compulsive neatening and picking up of litter. The notion that environment is a major factor in behavior was an interesting idea. So that part of my efforts are in order to stimulate others to care for and be happy and comfortable in their environment. The funny thing is, I am not so neat at home, but I will stop to pick up litter as I walk from one place to another (not all the litter all the time, but significant litter some of the time).

I had a third thought, but I neglected to write it down, so it is still floating around out there, untethered as of yet.

Don't know what the day will hold - except for another Saucer visit - but I am happy about being here!

Pictures from June 27, 2011:


"My" Just Tires in Clayton, NC. Ooh, there is a Bojangles right across the street, so I lunched there! Yum!!


While searching for the books, I came across this representation of the fabled Burnt Bear. Anybody remember Burnt Bear? This is my nephew Sam's rendering!


Lesley and Danielle (spelling still in question) were kind enough to pose for a picture while sitting at my table.


A picture of Cate and me at Fai Thai. The food was yummy!

6 comments:

Kim said...

What time are you headed to the Saucer today?

Augustus said...

Probably 4:30ish. Will you grace us with your presence?!

Pauline said...

Greetings from California, *I* like your blog, so sad that the ex-follower doesn't.

Strange how things change and some stay the same. I have your Bar Dreams book in my living room and was staring at it the other day. I like the fact that we get to see 3 photos from your day, no more, no less. I hope you are well,

Pauline (hoping you remember me since I don't think we've seen each other in over 10 years? ;-)

If you don't (remember me) here are some hints: pool (the game, not the swimming type), Fenton's (ice cream), burritos, we went out in San Mateo in your rented convertible and I think we went to some bar/pub in Berkeley or Oakland on one of your visits?

Augustus said...

Thank you Pauline! Find me on Facebook or send me an email at gusssr@earthlink.net so that we can catch up! 10+ years is a long time!!

Sam said...

So glad to have immortalized burnt bear so vividly!!!

Augustus said...

And now I have an electronic version of it! Woohoo! You rocked (and rock) Sam!