Sunday, June 5, 2011

DFA

Distinguished Faculty Awards. Each year, since 1991 or so, Hobart and William Smith Colleges have asked their alumni to pick teachers who ought to be recognized as Distinguished. A few years ago, my father was recognized. And last night, a family friend (I have known her for 40 years) was recognized.

It started with a cocktail reception so everyone could mingle and chat. I didn't know many people there, so I spoke with anyone silly enough to stand still long enough for me to corner them. Had a pleasant chat with a recent grad who was there to write an article for the HWS website. And lots of other random people. The speeches came next - unsurprisingly, the two humanities professors speeches were a lot more interesting and entertaining than were those for the science teacher. I'm just sayin'.

Next, dinner on the quad under a tent. Luckily, it was not raining and mildly temperatured. The food was decent - though it was a buffet. In years past the dinner for the DFA was served at table. I liked that. More elegant. Oh well. We sat with a couple - he was finance director for the colleges. They left and another couple came to sit with us - The Bensons - both of whom went to the colleges and I think they both taught or worked there too. I know he did.

Mom was in rare form - hobnobbing (I though it had a 'k' in it) with people and generally seemed to have a great time.

Lastly, the evening was topped off with fireworks. Not a long display, but fun. I went and laid down almost underneath where they were being set off. My iPhone did a great job capturing the show - I will probably put it up on Facebook. Oh, if anyone who reads this wants to find me on Facebook - I will be there. :)

Pictures from June 4, 2011: (More pictures and the fireworks movie will be going up on Facebook eventually)


Not a bad space or a bad turnout for the awards!


Me with my mom and Mary Gerhart, the honoree. Mom is on the left - I am on the right and Mary is the ham in the sandwich...


Kristi (I forgot to ask her how she spells her name) and Danae - two very personable young women who were a part of the staff at the dinner.



A firework.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Cool that Mary won that award! Good to see you all at an elegant party. Looking forward to rolling into town a week from tomorrow!

Augustus said...

I am confused - I thought you were arriving here on Friday night...

Jeffrois said...

I've always thought that "recognized" was a weird verb in this context, as in "...was recognized as distinguished despite being disguised in a sombrero and Groucho glasses." Don't they really mean something like "honored"?

Augustus said...

Words are wonderful!