Saturday, June 4, 2011

Theatre

For those of you who don't know, I have always been interested in the theatre. I am not sure if this is a genetic thing or whether it was a socialization thing. In any case, one of my earlier memories is writing, directing and acting in a play at summer camp. And this was not an art camp - this was an outdoor, camping, archery sporty camp. But we put the play on anyway! Ever since then, I have done theatrical things. My undergrad degree was a made up one - based on theatre. And I went to graduate school for Directing theatre. I miss it. I would like to be doing more of it. Until that happens, I like to go see shows when I can. Last night we went to see a play.

The play itself was Noel Coward's Fallen Angels - a play with which I am not familiar. I guess I will need to read it. It was mostly a two hander - it relies on two strong actors. Which this production lacked. They were both ok. As a theatrical practitioner, I think it was a combination of tough material, inexperienced and not excellent actors and not great directing. The show had its moments and was, overall enjoyable. Just not great. I am very glad to have gone.

One of the ideas I am toying with, besides, of course, my grand theatre idea - Sirius Theatre - is to produce some local summer theatre. Not this year, since the summer is already upon us, but maybe next year. That, though, is a long way off.

We had an errand day yesterday. We went to the bank, the Edward Jones office, the post office, the library and the grocery store. If I had my druthers, I would go to the grocery store everyday. In fact, I am just about doing that already. I have plans to go again today in fact. Yippee!

Pictures from June 3, 2011:


Mom's idea of sorting - take everything out of a box and put it into piles. Great. When asked what is in a particular pile - her answer is - I don't know. I will have to look at it again...yippee!


Tickets and program from Fallen Angels.

2 comments:

Jeffrois said...

Maybe some Guilbert & Sullivan.

Augustus said...

That's a great thought, Jeff!