Saturday, June 25, 2011

Books and Travel

I had a realization the other night - my mom's house has more than 15,000 books in it. If I started reading one book a day (which I sometimes do) it would take me more than 41 years to read all the books. Eeek.

One day in the not too distant future, I am going to sit down and label and add keywords to all of my past posts. Yippee! I bet there are some commonalities. And maybe it will help people to find and read the excitement that is this blog! :)

Yesterday was a driving day. Got up, got the car packed and got mom, eventually, into the car. 6 hours on the road. About halfway to Union Grove, we stopped for the night. Winchester, VA. I asked the motel desk clerk for a suggestion for dinner and she sent us to a place called Backseat Bar and Grill. Food was ok - beer selection was for crap. I had a Rolling Rock. I am so damned lazy! I should have just googled (which I did just now) - found 5 places that all sounded worlds better just a few minutes away. Sigh. Oh well - live and learn. Maybe we will go to one of them on the way back, if we stop...

My realization for the day is that a little mom goes a long way. I spend as much of a day apart from her as I can when we are in Geneva. I pop in, check to see she is ok, feed her, do whatever she might require - but I do my best not to spend long periods of time with her. It is the ceaseless repetition that drives me batty! And it does drive me batty! So, lesson learned. But how to mitigate those effects while on a trip like this, that is the question? Maybe just asking her for a few minutes silence - though that hasn't worked in the past. Maybe just going for a walk would do it. But I think I need a good hour or so to detox. Sigh. Am I evil?

Another driving day today - Saucer tonight and a party at Kevin's for a bit. Huzzah.

Pictures from June 24 2011:


Some flowers at the house in Geneva - I think they are roses!


Our lovely motel room in Winchester, VA.


Mom loves have her picture taken - ok, no she doesn't. I can see in this photo why people say she doesn't look 81. She looks 65 maybe. Or at least what I think 65 used to look like...

2 comments:

Sam said...

My new plan is to be like Paul and "meditate" for an hour a day ... no one can disturb me, because, I am meditating! Not evil! Meditating!

It would take you 41 years to read a book a day, true, but if you perused 10 books a day, then it would be 4.1 years, and if you consulted 100 books a day, you would touch them all in 5 months ...

So, it's really not that many books!

Augustus said...

Right - as I used to ask people when I was thinking about the "Meet a Million People" project - how often have you read 10 books in one day...