Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunday's Blog Monday

How exciting is that?! Wow! Aren't you all the luckiest people?

Welcome, James, number #19! Happy to have you aboard. I hope I don't disappoint. Not too much, at least.

So, where was I? Oh yes, sitting in the Flying Saucer catching up on my blog posts. Again. Not that far behind, but still.

Nice days, Sundays. Much better than when I was forced, as a child, to go to church. Ok, forced might be too strong a way of putting it. Truthfully, I did enjoy going most of the time. Not the getting up early, but the singing in the choir. I did so enjoy that. For most of two or three years. From the age of 10 till about 13 I think. Yay choir singing!

So, I didn't get up and go to church. Instead I woke up and read. And read some more. I am reading a few things. The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card is one thing. I read most of Journeyman Alvin yesterday. And also more of Falling in Love for All the Right Reasons. That book is written by one of the founders of eHarmony and isn't the best relationship book that I have read. Interesting enough to finish, but not scintillating. I do have a thing about not finishing books. I just don't like to not finish books that I start. This does mean that I have read some really crappy things all the way through. Oh well. I did just return a collection of fantasy stories about wizards unfinished. It was very uneven. One story would be great, the next would be dreck. So I got about halfway and decided that I had too many books in my reading pile anyway.

Sadly, I didn't end up doing any blogging yesterday. At about 4 I headed out to run errands (library, dollar store and something else that escapes me just now) and then headed to the Saucer. 5 plate parties! Eeek! I had my three beers which was good. And not much more beer than that. As I was leaving, my housemate physically attacked me. And I will leave it at that for now. My head still hurts a bit. Anyway, I went and hung out at a friend's house after that. Life is like that sometimes, sadly.

Oh, while at the Saucer, I met two very nice young women - Kate and Paige. They even gave me one of their rocket tots! How cool is that? I took their picture with the proviso that I wouldn't post it here or on Facebook. I mostly took the picture for my own memory banks. If I don't take a picture of someone that I meet, I am more likely to forget them.

Just a few more words about Saturday. Apparently, there were 65 tornadoes sighted in the Raleigh area on Saturday. There sure was a bunch of damage: trees down, power lines down, houses and businesses messed up to varying degrees. I didn't even realize how bad things had been. True, I did see a car spin-out for no apparent reason while driving on Route 40. And there were lots of traffic lights out with some of them manned by police. Still, the scope of the damage didn't make itself apparent to me. Sometimes, I can be oblivious.

Ok, pictures from Saturday, April 16:


This police presence was my first clue that things went worse for Raleigh than they did for us down in Clayton. I sat there for about 5 minutes before I just started across the intersection 'cause the officer hadn't even glanced my way. Poop head.


I had been wondering what to do about food. Since I had to take an alternate way to the Saucer, I went right past Baja Burrito, always a fine food option in my book. In the same strip mall, I saw these two places - an Ethiopian Restaurant and a Hookah bar! Definitely need to add them to my list of places to experience. Well, experience again for the Ethiopian place...


Tim was having his fourth plate party. Probably his last here, since he and Andi and Mitch and Nate (their kids) are moving to Nashville later in the year. I wasn't invited to the plate party. :( I did, though take a good picture of their whole group!

2 comments:

Ellie Rodriguez said...

Hookah Harrar is nice...

Augustus said...

Have you been there frequently, Ethie? I would like to go one day...