Sunday, October 30, 2011

Do you believe in Magic?

I do. Not sure what sort of magic I believe in, but since I believe that anything is possible, magic must be possible. One of the books I have started to write is a fantasy book and in it I have magic -  creating that has given me some solid thought on what constitutes magic. One type is the everyday sort of magic - nature is pretty magical when I think about it. Or there is the reverse magic thought - thinking something won't happen and hoping that it actually will. Or not wanting to jinx something. For instance talking about something and then it not working out the way I would best like. All hoping is a kind of magic, I think. And praying, which is really, in my opinion, just directed hoping. Oh, and by the way, just because anything is possible, doesn't mean that anything is likely. Aliens could knock on my door and ask directions to another dimension, but it probably won't happen...

I wrote a book about relationships.  Well, I started a book about relationships. There is a draft (some 175 pages) of it lying around on my computer somewhere. Possible title: Sex, Attraction, Relationship, Dating - Not Necessarily in that Order - A Collection of Thoughts, Observations and Anecdotes on Like, Love and Lust. Or flip that around: Like, Love and Lust - A collection of Thoughts, Observations and Anecdotes on Attraction, Dating, Sex and Relationships. There are four sections - attraction, dating, sex and relationships. It is completely autobiographical. No extensive research, only introspection and self-examination. I started it probably ten years ago and I doubt it will see the light of day in actual book form. Too much personal stuff in there.

Anyway, the reason I write about that is because I have been thinking, as frequently I do, about those very subjects. There was the infamous Just undateable post. I wonder just what I really have to offer a potential partner, really. Sure, I have the normal stuff: intelligence, wit, charm, attentiveness. But materialistically, not much. And I wonder about the process. I think that part of me blanks out all the frustrating and difficult parts and focuses on the good parts once a relationship gets to the good parts. Dating can pretty much suck, so why would I want to put myself through that. Why does it bite? Because of the uncertainty. When one is in a relationship, there is at least some definition. In dating, it is all up in the air. Sure, the unknown is exciting, but can also be enervating and stressful.

Okey, enough drivel. Time for a quick recap of the events of yesterday. It was opera day. Mom woke up at some point and got dressed - at least she was dressed when I poked my head in around 10 am. I hope she didn't wake up at 5 and get dressed and just lie there stressing out. Sigh. We got out in a timely fashion and headed to Victor, NY, the beautiful Eastview Mall Cinema actually. We sat in seats we have sat in before, or close to. The opera was Don Giovanni (Don Juan) by Mozart. I like Mozart's music. And even his dramatic operas always seem to have a little bit of humor in them. Yay humor! All in all it was pretty enjoyable - though long! Mom also got a smidge bored towards the end. It reminded me of the Emperor's comment to Mozart about the opera Mozart had written: Too many notes!

After, we went to TGI Friday's for dinner. Mom had shrimp and chicken, we shared fried green beans and I had some beef on a stick. Not terrible and we have leftovers! Yay! Good day!

Pictures from October 29, 2011:

Our friendly ticket taker for the opera

Fried green beans with wasabi mayo dipping sauce

Mom and me at TGI Friday's

4 comments:

naturegirl said...

" Do you believe in Magic" is a young girls dream.... by Aly & AJ . All girls believe in majic weather it's love, lust or even in the "like", stage.. or as in today's lingo "were talking". I absolutely agree about the magic of nature, both the good and bad, as I have experience Mother Nature at its worst( I once got caught in the ocean during a nasty storm in a fairly decent size boat, not a something I would care to experience again)

I find it extremely intriguing that you wrote a book about relationships. Why wouldn't you finish it. Relationships are complicated only if you allow them to be. Everyone (at least women for the most part) want the "happily ever after guy".. but relationships are more than that. It's about friendship, soulmates, it's about the good and the bad, as well as mutual respect. ( Okay .. my two cents again) think, I am gonna stop here. :0)

Hope the date went well.. mine, walk in the park.. McGlenn's Tavern , Trivia ( love to play Buzzplay trivia especially since I am on the top leader board! ) beer and nacho's.
Nice pics of you and mom :0)
Look forward to seeing the new site



Don Juan Giovanni.. again so jealous.. LOL.. very comedic..yes long. But gotta Love Don Juan.

Augustus said...

What beer, Brigitte? :)

naturegirl said...

LOL,,,, after all of that .. the only thing you pick up was "What beer"?

I had two. both on tap
Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale.. brown ale hints of caramel and the premium white ale with a couple of oranges..tasted more like a blue moon.

Augustus said...

I just had an Alexander Keith's Brown and I wasn't thrilled with it...