Friday, October 21, 2011

Readings

Over the years, I have been to a lot of readings. Poetry, fiction, non-fiction, staged etc. Last night I attended one at Hobart and William Smith by an author named Mary Gaitskill. It was surprisingly well attended - though I do think that some of the people there were required to attend - still, a good turn out. Mary read an entire short story. The story was very interesting and kept me intrigued the whole time. She also did a decent job presenting it. Not always the case. Some authors oughtn't to read their own works aloud in front of an audience. She also did well fielding questions. And somehow, I had two lovely women sit on either side of me. Still not sure how that happened. I sat there first! :)

Other than that, not too exciting a Thursday. I studied for my Spanish exam on Monday. I made the leftover sausage and pork into pork fried rice. And thawed and fried four eggrolls. That turned out pretty well, actually, so going forward, that is my new methodology: freeze the raw eggrolls. Though I need to let them thaw over a longer period of time...

Oh, I forgot. I actually accomplished a couple of tasks. One was to order copies of Bar Dreams. I ordered two cartons, 88 copies. I hope that isn't too many. We shall, of course, see. And I redesigned and reordered my business cards. Somehow I had gotten the template wrong which frustrated me for a good bit. I also don't know Gimp all that well. I was mildly frustrated for about half an hour. But I got it done. And if they don't turn out excellently, there will only be 250 of them and I can run through those pretty quickly and try again. Yay for accomplishing things!

Photos from October 20, 2011:

So I like easy crosswords...

A wall of Distinguished Faculty

My father's picture

2 comments:

Tim R said...

Gus-

Love the pic of your Dad-I'm sure he is in impressive company on that wall of honor. Perhaps you could do a mini bio of him in a future posting?

Augustus said...

Excellent thought, Tim! Thank you!