Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mildly Thwarted

I had a plan. And the plan was only partially realized. Hence, mildly thwarted. The plan was to putter around until around 3. Then get out and go to Wagner's Winery/Brewery and then to Growler's Pub. Mom had been hiding in bed all day. I had laid the groundwork previously about the excursion. Then, I said it was time to start to get ready. "Can we go another day?" says mom. "Of course, but we had planned to go today and there is no time like the present," said I. Gee, I sound so reasonable. The conversation didn't really quite go like that. Suffice to say that I was ready to just go on my own. Then, surprisingly, mom was up out of bed and getting ready to go. True, we left much later than I had wanted to but we did get out the door. Wagners isn't so far away - it is outside of lovely Lodi. And it is big! Complete with a restaurant. And it was really crowded. Two tour buses, at least three long stretch limos. And oodles of cars. Mom and I got there, managed to get inside and then turned around and headed back to the car. Just too many people! I will go on my own another day, a weekday. As long as I just go there and come back, I won't be away from the house too long. Anyway, next stop, Growler's.

The drive to Lyons (an L-town day, apparently) was much longer than I thought it would be. Oh well. I don't think I have ever been to Lyons before. Not sure I will ever go again. Not that Growler's wasn't pleasant. It was. A very nice little bar - 18 taps with mostly interesting stuff. Not much in the way of food. Personable server, named Danja (long a, soft j). The place was a little on the loud side - I had to shout a bit to speak with mom sitting right beside me. But I don't know that it was awesome enough for me to take the 30 minute drive to experience again. We met the bar manager, who says they are going to brew one day, and met the owner, and a few other people. Mom thought the owner's grandson was the cutest child she had seen in a long time. He was cute. Looked like me when I was little. :) We almost didn't find the place as I was looking for 72 and it was actually 32. Mom noticed it while I was driving around the teeny downtown that is Lyons.

All in all, a pleasant day, despite the minor thwartage. :)

I think I am going to ask Dr. Rafi to put mom back on the Aricept 10mg. If mom's symptoms don't go away, I will try something else. A month of these issues has been plenty - and I don't see her mental acuity as much improved. And Jeff and others are right - I need to find support somewhere and soon. I do appreciate the mental support of friends and family, but I think I need something a bit more concrete. I will call the hospital on Monday (or Tuesday) and see if they know of any support groups in the area for caretakers, especially of Alzheimer's patients. Sigh.

Ok, pictures from October 8, 2011:

The foliage is starting to turn!

Wagner's Winery

Growler's Pub and Grill

Cool plexiglass flight holder - they write the names of the beers on there

Great little glasses!

Me and Mom ready to dine on our Growler burger

I love the light at this time of year - there is the moon in the right of the shot



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Augustus! Just read your blog, I like it... kind of a digital diary.... I may have to start one... problem is, I have this "committment" issue, and the thought of disappointing my sure to be HUGE fan base that is waiting patiently for me to write something so that they can hang on my every word, seems rather daunting! I am a home health care provider, and many of my clients are victims of Alzheimer's and/or dementia. It's an EXHAUSTING job, and you deserve a lot of credit. I hope that you do find a local support group... they are wonderful, and offer lots of encouragement and information and resources! Good luck, and remember to take care of yourself, as well!

Augustus said...

Thank you Anonymous! I appreciate your visit and your note! I understand about the commitment issue and the pressure it can bring! And thank you for your kind words. I am going to look tomorrow. And fear not, I am good at taking care of myself! :)