Sunday, October 23, 2011

I could be hallucinating...

I could be hallucinating, but I hope I am not. Or maybe just wishful thinking... Anyway, I think the change back to the not-so-potent Aricept is being a good thing. Mom doesn't seem to be as cold, doesn't seem to be having the same other issues and is actually participating more in the world. Yippee!

I thought about it the other day. Although I don't really know what I am doing, I am helping my mom. She doesn't have to take taxis to places. She doesn't have to worry about burning down the house while cooking. She doesn't have to stress over whether or not her bills are being paid. And she is taking her medications fairly consistently. So, although I am not doing wonders, we are getting by.

Still waiting to hear back from Createspace to see if they fixed the conversion error in Diary of a Plate Addict. The tech people apparently don't work on the weekend, so I will have to hope that tomorrow I will hear back.

Yesterday was pleasant! Mom and I had a night out. I think this is her first non-medical day out of the house in a month. We went to see a movie - Reel Steel - and then to dinner at Schooner's in Canandaigua. I enjoy movies, as long time readers and friends know. There were three that are playing just now that I would like to see - 50/50, Ides of March and Reel Steel. Mom wanted to see A Dolphin's Tale, and since I enjoy movies, I would have been happy to go see that as well. But she chose Reel Steel - because she likes Hugh Jackman and because she thought I would like that one best. Whatever. Despite being formulaic, the movie was still enjoyable. Not awesome, or inspired or anything like that. But good. Definitely would recommend it for a redbox rental - or Netflix. The theatre that we go to most often is the Geneva Multiplex - most of their smaller theatres have digital projections, which I think is great. Must save the whole industry a lot of money not having to ship film reels around.

Next stop, Canadaigua. I had forgotten the name of the place that I wanted to go - a place with a good seafood selection - 'cause mom likes seafood. I got gas at a place in town and asked a man if he knew of a decent seafood restaurant. He mentioned one called Doc's (Or Docks?) down the road a bit - and he also pointed at the one across the street called Schooner's and said the food there was pretty good. Doh! That was the place I had wanted to go to the last time mom and I went out to the movies and dinner. How fortuitous!

The place has been around 25 years. The current owner has run it for 2 years. A nice older gentleman named Jim. It was fairly busy, but Jim told us that there is usually a waiting list on Saturday nights. Good thing for us there wasn't. Mom ordered a cup of lobster bisque and I ordered a dish called Artichokes Alexander. Apparently Alexander liked bacon and feta cheese since the other dishes with Alexander in the name also contained those things. The bacon was a smidge over done, but other than that, the app was awesome! Three of my favorite things together in one dish! Mom's lobster bisque was good too. For entrees, mom had crabbed stuffed halibut and I had Chicken Christina - chicken with portabello mushrooms and other stuff over angel hair pasta. The pasta was a tad over cooked, but otherwise the dish was yummy. I have some to look forward to in the refrigerator. For beverages, mom had scotch and soda - two of them - so she went to bed pretty quickly after we got home. I had Naked Dove's Oktoberfest, which was pretty tasty! Might have to go get a growler of that if they still have it...

All in all a good day. On today's to do list - study Spanish for the test tomorrow! Eeek!

Pictures from October 22, 2011:

The movie poster

Yay! Found it!

Artichokes Alexander

Me and mom out on the town


No comments: