Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beer Day in Maine - Take Two

A second day of free wandering! Hurrah!! Overall, good day - lots and lots of driving. But as we know, that means lots of listening to The Wheel of Time series - currently listening to The Shadow Rising.

I did do some work on the puzzle as well. I plan to finish today - and I need to get cracking on that if it is to happen. I am getting a late start today. I hope I don't get as late a start tomorrow - long drive back to Geneva. Eeek!

Ok, yesterday. Got up, puttered and such - took a shower, worked on the puzzle, did my yoga and then headed out the door. It didn't take as long as my gps said for me to arrive in Booth Bay.

It is times like this that I wish I had a partner or at least a traveling companion - and though my mom is great and sweet and somewhat helpful in this regard, she isn't ideal - I would like someone who has strong interests of her own - is also inquisitive and interested - so that we could explore other things. I could make myself do it - I just don't. Anyway, I didn't see anything of the countryside or town - just homed in on the locale for the beer festival.

We had to park and walk along a trail - where they had put up signs for the brewing companies in attendance. Cute. There were a bunch of people waiting when I got there - they accepted my credit card and gave me a logo-less glass - because I bought my ticket the day of - poop on them - not that I need another dogfish head labeled glass, but still. Whatever. Allison was very nice and funny and made the whole day a little better.

There were a lot of breweries represented. I tasted maybe 36 beers - the high point of which was, of course, the dogfish head 120 minute. Wow! And this one was randalized as well. Awesome, awesome beer. Definitely not a session beer, unless you want your session to end up with your face in the dirt...So yummy! I had a lot of other good beers, talked with a lot of nice people, ate good food and generally had a great time! Yippee!! I did meet a couple of people with Brewpubs that I hadn't visited here in Maine. Everyone I spoke with thought the project sounded like a good idea. Yay Brewpub book. The working title isn't doing it for me, though. Any thoughts anyone?

Headed off to the Mexican restaurant. Silly me. I thought I would be greeted like a long lost brother because of the California (Mark, Nysa and Shauna) connection. Nope. It was like I was there everyday and it was no big deal. Whatever. The food was decent - nothing to write home about. Certainly not worth the hour and a half drive it took to get there. Then again, that could just be my soured experience talking.

Next stop, Bar Harbor. Wow, what a touristy little place. I found the Bar Harbor Brewing company - which I thought was a brewpub - but wasn't. I tasted their beers, and with the help of recently transplanted local Denianne, made my way to the homeship, Atlantic Brewing - which, sadly, was closed for the day. Oh well. So I toodled back to Juliet's house!

Paul, Juliet and Mom had gone out to dinner, so I worked on the puzzle. And continued to work on it until about midnight, after everyone else had called it a night. Oh well. It will get finished!

Pictures from July 30, 2011: (All the pictures from the trip will be posted on my Facebook account at some point...)


The Booth Bay Beer Festival Entrance.


Outside El El Frijoles


Bar Harbor taps

No comments: