Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Maineward Ho!

I just like saying things like that - Ho! First, we had to get out the door - which was pretty easy, all things considered. Everyone in the house got up and got their acts together and we hit the road by 10. E&B went to get breakfast and we started our drive by stopping at the ATM. Yay money! (No, I don't love money, but in a world where it takes money to do just about anything other than sit around, it is good to have a bit.)

The drive to our first stop, was, well, miserable. Not as terrible as it could have been, I mean, no accidents or major slow downs or anything. Just a good deal of rain - fluctuating from drizzle to deluge. Yay! And the GPS took us through a lot of little towns and back roads to get us to beautiful Glens Falls, NY.

It sure looked like a lovely town, at least the bit that I got to see on this trip. We stopped at Davidson Brother's Brewery and Restaurant, a brewpub. Yippee!

I liked Davidson's a lot. If I lived in the area, I am sure I would join their beer club - big glass, less expensively! Yippee! The food we had was good, not awesome - but we only had two little things - buffalo chips (tee hee) and a crab cake. I also tasted six of their 8 beers currently on offer. Most were good - the Scotch ale tasted a little too strongly of alcohol - the brewmaster, Jason, concurred. I liked the Oatmeal Porter a lot. If it were an imperial, I would have liked it even better. :) We got to have a nice long chat with Kerry Davidson, wife of one of the owners, a manager and a professional photographer. Our bartender, Jared, was great as well! I hope I haven't lost the little piece of paper with the url of his food blog...The beer sampler was a tad on the expensive side...

Back on the road, the rain had mostly disappeared - though it still drizzled off and on. We got to Longtrail Brewing in VT in a timely fashion. Almost missed it, though as it was down off the road. Beer garden sort of feel, which doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. Eric our server, was friendly. Our onion rings turned out to be onion strips and enough for an army! Mom and I tried to put a dent in them and didn't succeed. I had a sampler of their beers - mostly decent - the IPA was about the least hoppy IPA I think I have ever had. And the dark beers weren't very well represented - though it is summer time. Eric was kind and tossed the two brewer's choice beers on for free. Or maybe he just forgot to ring them in. In any case, yippee! There was a self guided beer tour which was, well, memorable only for its self guidedness...

I heard something disturbing. I hear that Otter Creek bought Wolavers. Then Otter Creek was bought by Longtrail. And then Longtrail was bought by one of the huge beverage companies. Does anyone know about any of this? I don't think I want to include large corporate beer in my brewpub book...

At Longtrail, I made reservations for the night at Quechee Gorge. Beautiful place! Easily a place to spend a full day walking in the area. But, alas, we have places to go and things to do and people to see, etc. So, adieu for now, dear blogettes!

Pictures from July 25, 2011:


Mom, Kerry and Me at Davidson Brother's!


A pin map of where people have come from in the US to get to Longtrail. Wow!


The Quechee Gorge is gorge-ous! :)

No comments: