Thursday, July 28, 2011

Maine Day

What a beautiful day it was, too. After the cold and the rain on Monday and Tuesday, it was a sunny, warm, pleasant day. Yippee! And a relaxing day at that.

We ran some errands - mom needed to go shopping. We ended up buying her a few new to her sweaters - I think she was feeling bereft after giving so many to Betty - at the Goodwill Store. The good news is that we can always give them to the Center for Concern back in Geneva if we want to. We also looked in Reny's but found nothing - no floaty chair, no over-the-glasses-old-person style sunglasses and no sweater that appealed to mom's tastes. Juliet was very gracious and gave mom one of her two pairs - letting mom think that she had had time to purchase them for her. Go Juliet! (Juliet, by the way, is my sister - who we are visiting here in Maine).

Lunch was at Bell The Cat - a local lunch place that had good food. I had a chicken and avocado sandwich, Juliet had a salmon bagel and mom had a cup of yummy looking creamy chicken and rice soup and half of a turkey sandwich, which she ate, but didn't seem to like all that well.

Much of the day, for me, was spent working on a puzzle. I am somewhat compulsive when it comes to puzzles. It is a 2000 piece one - which I may not finish by the time we leave Monday morning - but it won't be for a lack of trying. I am cheating a good bit - by looking at the cover picture to figure out where bits go. I plan on putting together a time lapse series of photos about the progress of the puzzle at some point. Someday. Which is when I am going to do all the things that I planned on doing here - like working on the draft of Diary of a Plate Addict, cutting out more plates for Heather (the designer), getting the ISBN bar code, etc. And that is just DPA stuff. I also wanted to read a lot, get started on my FLCC application process, do some serious relaxing...sigh. Time just seems to evaporate here. Maybe Juliet will let us come back again later in the year...

Juliet and Paul went off to a Jazz concert, mom stayed home and read, and I went to do some research for the Brewpub Book (working title - Wanderer's Guide to Brewpubs). I went to a place I have been a couple times before - Three Tides and Marshall Wharf Brewing - this time with a goal in mind. I sampled five beers - all decent - my least favorite being the shellfish infused Porter. Sadly, the owner was not interested enough to come talk to me. Oh well. His loss.

It was a good meet-y day. I met Judd and Derrick and talked about beer and a little about politics - also briefly met David, a fellow long-hair, and Daniel. And met Orianna and Bridget. And the people doing some work for Juliet and Paul on the house - Ryan and his father Ralph.

Today is another day. Weird. :)

Pictures from July 27, 2011:


Lunch at Bell The Cat.


Mom shopping at Goodwill.


Some progress has been made on the puzzle...

No comments: