Friday, July 29, 2011

Beer Day in Maine - Take One

Juliet, my sister, said that she would help me to have time off by myself and she has been true to her word! Hurrah! Yesterday was, mostly, such a day. We all got up and did our morning things before heading off to see family friends - the Flory's. Jane has a house on beautiful Lake St. George - not too far from Belfast. I must admit, even with my much vaunted sense of direction, I did get a smidge lost. So I stopped and asked for directions. The people were very kind, finding a phone book and letting me use their phone to call information. Jane gave me the last bit of directioning that I needed. I just hadn't gone far enough around the lake. Sigh.

Susan, Jane's elder daughter, was up visiting, which was part of the reason that we chose to go when we did. I haven't seen Susan in years and years. She is great and I am glad that we got the chance to reconnect. She had lent three vintage pictures to Juliet from a time when we were all in Maine together - Susan, Sarah, Karl, I, Brunhilde and a man named Joe (who has, sadly, apparently passed away). I have scanned them and they will make an appearance somewhere. Anyway, we hung out for a while, met the next generation - Tim and Jack - and then I toddled off in search of adventure.

I did a lot of driving all over Maine yesterday. Seriously. I was in the car for about 5 hours would be my guess. Though it didn't seem that long. The roads were mostly back ones, the scenery was lovely and I got to listen to my book. I finally got through book 3 of The Wheel of Time (The Dragon Reborn). The great Robert Jordan slow down hasn't yet occurred in the books. I think that doesn't begin until book 7.

First stop, Agawam. Wow, what a blast from the past. Everyone was very friendly (almost children of the corn friendly) and the current "Chief" actually wandered the camp with me and told me all sorts of things - about buildings that had been changed, and changes in policy - they don't play gold bars anymore! Eeek!! And reminded me that naming all the campers was called the long walk. I did that at least two years that I was there. No more water skiing - which is a good thing, I think. I forgot to go to Nature Trail. Poop. Oh well - I went into all the cabins that I had inhabited and only one had a plaque from my year - and that was barely legible. Sigh. Couldn't or didn't find a ghost rock, which isn't surprising since they get shuffled every year. Lots of memories came back - mostly excellent. If I ever have boy children, they will have the opportunity to go to Camp Agawam. I wonder if Karl ever offered his boys that opportunity.

Next stop, Sunday River Brewing in Bethel ME. Kelley, our server at Sebago, had recommended this place. I was not thrilled over all. Don't get me wrong, I had a lovely time. Jennifer, my server, was sweet as sweet can be. Willow, the manager on duty was very nice - and she said she will vote for me in 2024 (I think I am up to 20 votes so far - only a few million to go!). I had their beers - nothing too exciting - and some lobster fritters - interesting thought and well executed - but I think that lobster needs a very light batter if you are going to do that - something like tempura - otherwise the delicate flavor of the lobster gets lost. Oh well.

Willow suggested Bray's in Naples, so I headed there. Yup, a little backtracking, but I was up for it. I was hoping for some better beers. I found the place and it was pretty well occupied. There was an open seat at the bar and I snagged it. Soon, a nice guy named Ron came and sat and we chatted a good bit. They only had four of their won beers on tap - the other two were not currently available. All were decent. That is a place I will have to go again, maybe later in the year if Juliet will have us - when the tourists are not so rife. I met a nice woman named Stephanie and gave her a card. Sigh.

Then I toodled home - and did not stop at Gritty's in Lewiston - though I probably should have. Maybe another day. Mom and Juliet and Paul were still up - so we chatted a bit - then they went to bed and I worked on the puzzle for an hour. I am doubting that I will finish it. Poop.

Ok, then, Pictures from July 28, 2011:


Jane, Susan and Mom.


A view of Agawam.


The Main(e) Entrance of Sunday River.


An entrance to Brays in Naples, ME.

No comments: