Monday, July 25, 2011

I was a bad teenage Buddhist

It wasn't quite 7 at one blow, but I was on a fly killing frenzy for part of the day. I seem to remember that mom had quite an infestation of flies last summer as well. I didn't do much about it last time as I was only around for 10 days or so - most of which were spent in Maine. It was not a pleasant thing, killing all those flies. Maybe 14 of them. Where they came from, I have no idea. It isn't like there are a lot of open windows for them to fly in from. Sigh. Bad Buddhist!

Packing was easy! I am taking four bags - one with clothes, one for the computer, one with books and a draft of Diary of a Plate Addict, one with shoes, Brian and Chuck, warm clothes and toiletries. Lots of bags but they are all small. I will probably have a picture of them all tomorrow.

Mom and I ate the rest of the leftovers from the refrigerator for lunch, so there shouldn't be anything too scary waiting for us when we return. Yippee!

Ernst and Betty did arrive about when they thought they would - always a good thing. We met them at the Ramada for dinner. A moderately expensive place, but the food is decent and there is a nice view of the lake. The Browns were already there when we arrived. A table for 8 that didn't seem at all crowded. Yippee! Mom had scallops, which I think she had when last we ate there - though I seem to recall that hers had something to do with chocolate last time. I had a steak salad, not wanting to get too much food. I still had leftovers (which I had as a midnight snack).

After dinner it was off to see a chamber music concert. Classical concerts are enjoyable, but for me they can be soporific. Good thing this one didn't cost anything. I did have my eyes closed for a good portion of it. Three pieces were presented - two Schubert and one by Greg Brown - one of the above mentioned Browns. The first two were classical and the third was definitely modern. Enjoyable, but not something I am going to rush to add to my iTunes playlist! :)

There were lots of locals at the concert. The Heatons, a Geneva Family for years, were well represented. They made my mom's day by reminding her that she had given Murray Heaton most of my father's old dress jackets after he died. Apparently one is still in good shape! I also ran into the mother of two kids who went to the Free School with me. She told me that both boys had died of cancer! They were 3 and 6 years younger than I am I think! Eeek! Ichiko and Popo. Very sad.

It is possible to meet very nice, attractive women in very random places and ways. Just saying.

Ok, really gotta go. We are heading towards Maine today!

Pictures from July 24, 2011:


Only three flies are visible in this picture, but there were lots that weren't in the shot! Most went to meet their maker and got an opportunity to move along the reincarnational path!


Betty and Ernst arrived at the Ramada just before we did.


Our dinner table.


A fuzzy picture of some of the musicians from the chamber music concert.

No comments: