Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sporadic Posting

Just didn't create the time for the post yesterday. Life is that way sometimes. True, I didn't have to go in to the theatre until later, but lack of sleep was reaching a critical level. So, I slept. A good bit. And then napped after waking up. And did I do anything else constructive with my awake time? No, I did not. Well, made mom some lunch before running out the door. Yay me!

So, the last two days have been mostly spent in the theatre. This is not the glamorous theatre that most people experience. The walking in, sitting down, enjoying the performance and then walking out sort of theatre. The time I have been spending in the theatre is sweaty, sometimes heavy, labor interspersed with times of sitting around waiting. There are not a lot of things to do during the actual running of the show. There are a few sound effects. And the scenery has one major switch. And there is some actor cueing to do. Other than that, there is a lot of just hanging out.

As for the physical labor part, moving scenery is a lot like moving furniture. Most people have moved some furniture in their lives. For us, some of it is done in the dark, which always makes it more pleasant. And some of the stuff weighs a ton! Oh, and there is the sweeping and mopping. Al, the director, told a version of the great old chestnut - a boy from the Midwest ran off to join the circus. His job, scooping up elephant poop. His parents came to see him and saw what work he was doing. They begged him to come home and work on the farm. His response "What? And give up show business??!?" I must admit that I am looking forward to it being over. Not because I don't enjoy it. I do. I just don't enjoy it as much as I could because I feel like I am neglecting mom. And that is why I am in Geneva, right now, so that I can look after her and help her out. Sigh.

Speaking of helping out, mom "emptied" a box yesterday. Basically she took everything out and spread it out nicely on the dining room table. She says that she threw a lot away when she sorted it. Somehow, I don't think that was the case. At least she tried, which is the important bit. She has also been doing dishes, which is a mixed blessing. I do hope the Ontario County Aging Program wait list shortens quickly! What would be optimal, though, would be to have someone come and take care of mom for a week. Or two. Though that is unlikely to happen any time soon. If ever.

In and around here, I have managed to do a little on Flippety - cleaning up and replacing graphics etc. Most importantly, Kelly (who we met in Hood River on the trip) sent me artwork from the beer labels that he designed! How awesome is that?! Check out Crooked Fence brewing when you have a chance! The labels look great!

Ok, at least this was a post of some kind. I hope to get back to regular posts starting with this one. We shall, of course, see.

The Armory in Geneva - I was taking a picture of the NYS state Flag

The door I have a key to at the Smith Opera House

Most of the prop table

No comments: