Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fun Friday at the Glass Museum

Our agenda was to get mom up and showered and out the door by 11. Well, that was the first agenda. I rethought it after I found out that the Corning Glass Museum didn't close until 8 at night. A lot more breathing room than I thought we had. Yay breathing room.

I really don't like to wake mom up. I have to do it sometimes, but don't like it. She is so scared and disoriented when I first wake her. Sigh. But we did have places to go, things to do, so wake her, I did. She eventually made it to the shower. Her first try with the sitting shower. All things considered it went very well. She even said she might make showers a weekly event. Yippee! I do need to get new shower curtains so that I can effectively wall her and the water into the tub. The chair presents a challenge to the curtain's closure. Oh, and I want to get some gaffers tape to tape up the board. I kicked it at least three times and it would be nicer to kick something a smidge softer.

Lunch was lunch - Kelly had cereal (breakfast for lunch) - mom had her usual and I continued on my PB&J kick. I think I might do it yet again today. Working through the last bits of a few jams and jellies that have been hanging around the fridge for a while. Yay cleaning out the fridge by eating!

The drive to Corning was beautiful. Everything is very green around here. I tried to interest my passengers in counting the wineries - but they didn't rise to the bait. I guess they aren't fish. Anyway, I think there are around 20 of them on this (the West) side of Seneca Lake. One day, I will go on a wine tasting jaunt and see how many I can find and do. Maybe after Kelly leaves. We got to Watkins Glen and found a bit of a traffic snafu due to a race weekend. Oops. Not a biggie. It took us 10 minutes instead of 3 to get through town. Onwards towards Corning, we stopped at an expensive gas station to get gas. My car did 43 miles per gallon! Yippee!!! And it got a bath - we had a cloud burst while driving. Free car washes are great!

Corning Glass Museum was a little more crowded than the last time we were there - over a year ago. School groups, tours and just more people. And mom didn't get "local" ticket prices this time. Oh well. Kelly had her AAA card which gave us all a decent discount. First stop, glass demo - second stop - fiber optics demo - third stop, well, not really a stop, contemporary glass. By that point, mom was tuckered so she and I sat outside for a while, so Kelly could get her fill of all the things that the museum offered. Great place. Well worth a visit from anyone who comes near the area. Sadly, mom did not do as well this time as she did last time. Perhaps it is because she has more of an audience with Kelly around. Or perhaps because she has in fact deteriorated. Or perhaps because she was just tired for some reason. Who knows?

The original plan had been to stop at the actual Glen in Watkins Glen - but everyone was tired enough to agree to just head home. Since I had thought we were going to brewpub (yes, I used that as a verb) for dinner, I hadn't planned a menu. So I decided that last night was going to be shrimp eggroll night! Yay!

The eggrolls turned out well - and I made some rice. Everything else was leftovers. Again, yay for cleaning out the fridge by eating!

Last night turned out to be movie night as well! We watched An Education which was pretty enjoyable. I had fears that it might turn out tragically, but it didn't. I don't like tragedies as well as I like feel good movies. Some people really do enjoy feeling bad. Weird. To each their own. Hmm, I wonder what is next on the list from Netflix. I like putting lots of things on the list at one time so I don't really remember what I put on there without looking. As I have said before, I like surprises - generally.

All in all a great day! Let's see what today brings!

The new hot glass stage

Bowl making in action

Still like this!

Made with fused glass rods!

Yes, that is glass

Mom liked this more than Kelly and I did

Yay glass fruit for giants!

No comments: