Monday, August 27, 2012

Not Even 10 in the Morning!

It is not even 10 in the morning on this beautiful (though slightly humid) Monday morning in Geneva, NY. (It might not be before 10 am when I publish this, but that will be then, which isn't now.) Why is this of note, you may be asking? Well, I had a dream - not the same one that MLK jr. had, but I had one. It was about me uploading my game, Flippety, to the App Store. In my dream, there were no problems and the app just uploaded happily. Unfortunately, I had this dream several times. Which could mean that I will have to upload it several (more) times. Or it could just be the same upload happening over and over again in dreamland. Anyway, I woke up around 8:30 and launched xCode.

xCode is the Application Development Environment for making iOS applications. Yesterday when I tried to upload Flippety I got an error I didn't understand (which is neither new or surprising...). As is my methodology, I searched the internet for people who had the same or a similar question and read how they solved their problem. All of the answers seemed to me to be overkill - like zapping the PRAM - which, though sometimes a panacea back when I was doing tech support (1995) - and maybe a bit of voodoo - which sometimes works in the technological realm (heck, there be zombies in C programming) I honestly was overwhelmed by all the information. So I took the next step in my methodology and wrote my mentor, Bill, and asked his advice. He gave me the same sorts of answers. My decision: restart my computer and sleep on it. Which I did.

After my dream, I decided to just go in this morning and futz around a little before doing anything too drastic. In some things it is good to go backwards before going forwards. So I tried building the application again, but instead of for distribution, I did it for testing again. Which worked fine. So I went back in and futzed some more, with a little bit of guidance from the internet and got an error that finally made sense to me. The bundle identifier that I told Apple and the bundle identifier on my app didn't match. So I fixed that, rebuilt the app for primetime and tried clicking on the submit button again. And lo and behold, it worked! Flippety is now awaiting review by Apple. Fingers crossed that any problems they find are easily fixed by me in a timely fashion! Heck, by this time next month, I could have an app in the app store!

As if that wasn't enough to do before 10 in the morning. Next up was an issue that I have been working on for a long time. Not an issue really, a mom thing. I like to do mom things sometimes. This one was tracking down her elementary/middle school education. So I called Birch Wathen and left a message with their alumni relations person and we will see what will come of that.

Lastly, mom has always told the story that the Chinese Table in the living room, according to her grandmother, has a sister in the Metropolitan. So I called the Met this morning and, after randomly contacting some group, got through to the Asian Collection. I spoke with Sunny who told me I could send her some pictures and what I knew of the table's story and she would see what, if anything, she could find out. I guess I have some picture taking to do today. Mom will be overjoyed! Or not.

Anyway, that is what has happened before 10 am here in Chez Schoen-René. What happened with you before 10 this morning?

Yesterday, not too much to report. I spent most of the day frustrated because I couldn't get Flippety submitted to the App store. I cooked breakfast for dinner (plus a left over ear of corn for mom). And we watched an episode of Inspector Lewis on Masterpiece Mystery. It was supposed to be game night last night, but no one else apparently RSVP'd to Charles, so we gave up for the evening.

Mom's egg didn't fare very well

My egg was better on the other side

No comments: