Friday, August 24, 2012

Wherefore Bats?

I love the word wherefore. All the usefulness of why with a lot more letters! Wherefore say why, when one can say wherefore?

And why do bats keep coming into the house? And where are they getting in? I can't imagine that they are that desperate to get in that they crawl through teeny gaps someplace. And I haven't found a gaping wide open hole anywhere that looks like a bat entrance. The place where I closed up the hole in the ceiling is still closed, and the door into the room where that hole was is closed. Glarg. So the bat showed up before midnight last night and I didn't do anything about it. Well, I did close my mom's bedroom door and my bedroom door so that the bat wouldn't come in and swoop around either of us while we were or were not trying to sleep. I will look for it later today and hopefully put it outside before mom gets up and gets downstairs. I don't want her frightened by the bat and falling over. I wonder if it is the same bat that has come in the previous two times. I didn't tag those other two...sadly, all bats look alike to me (or at least these have all looked alike...). I think I will work on the blog for a bit before bat hunting...

Yesterday was a full today. Today will be another one. Yes, that means longer and slightly pithier blog posts! Lucky you!!

How full was the day yesterday? Three events (of sorts) and a bat! (See above). That is a full day. Thank you very much, thank you for visiting, happy Friday! Bye!

Sorry, just in a playful mood. Sleepy, but playful. And I have something still stuck in my teeth. I will have to work on that before long. It is getting really annoying. So, yesterday.

First off, the woman from the Ontario Council on the Aging came to visit. With a trainee. Both were nice people, which always helps. We spent a lot of time going over both fiscal issues (which was left until the end) and mom's needs. And, since one person was being trained, I got to learn more than I might have otherwise. Two of us asking questions instead of one. And deeper explanations of things than I might otherwise have received. Yay! They stayed for about two hours and we chatted a lot about this and that. Maybe even got two more tentative votes for my presidential candidacy. Maybe not. Hard to tell. And who knows who will be running also in 2024. But I digress. The end result was that mom is in the 15% bracket - meaning she needs to pay fifteen percent of the cost of the visits. Which means we get a lot more bang for our buck! Yippee! The original plan is two two hour visits a week, about 16 hours a month for less than $60. And the lead person was very aware of the importance of matching personalities as best they can. Mom and the home health aid that is. How likely that is and if it will happen, we will just have to wait and see.

She mentioned lots of other programs and I am going to look into those. Like HEAP (a heating bill helping service) and Respite (a service where someone comes in for four hours to give the caregiver a respite - once a month - free) and Epic - for the doughnut hole - which hasn't happened yet with mom, but would be there in case mom has some catastrophic illness - which of course could happen at anytime (or never happen - don't you love the uncertainty of life?)! Yay - baby steps forward!

That was the first appointment of the day. The second was mom's 6 month check-up, check-in with Dr. Ryan, her primary care physician. Mom thinks that he doesn't listen and doesn't care about her any more. I don't think that. He might be bored with her, but then again, he might be bored with all of his patients. Hard to tell. We only really see him for between five and fifteen minutes at a time. He seems to listen to her and put up with her asking the same question a few times in a row. Patiently. And he listens to and doesn't seem put off by me and my anti-drug ways. Oh, and he prescribed some different anti-anxiety medicine for mom. Hopefully, I will be able to give those to her when we are heading out to some appointment and she won't get an upset stomach. That would be pleasant. Anyway, we had a nice visit, with no new news. Her blood pressure was good and her cholesterol was a little high, but he wasn't too worried about it. She was 5'5" tall (wasn't she 5'8" at one point) and 152 pounds, which seems decent to me!

After that visit, we stopped at the library so I could pick up a book and drop off a book and then popped in at the laundromat to see if mom had left her New Yorker there - we can't find it anywhere in the house. Here's where I hope the Alzheimer's will kick in, but since it is a negative memory, I am afraid it will stick with her a long time. Sigh. Oh, and no, the magazine wasn't at the laundromat.

Fast forward to dinner - either I am getting better at taking pictures of food, which I guess is possible, or the food I am cooking is just getting more photogenic. In either case, dinner, though thrown together from the freezer and from left overs, turned out pretty well. Yay!

After dinner, I went to Microclimate for my weekly outing. Very pleasant outing it was too. Yesterday was one of those days where people are just looking inordinately attractive. It must be something to do with biorythms or something. Anyway, I made it there safely and snagged a seat at the bar. Too few seats at the bar, but then again, it is a teeny place. Anyway, I chatted with a nice man named Peter for a while. He coerced me into speaking German with him for a while. I got by. My vocabulary is totally gone and I am sure I murdered the grammar, but he put up with it. Later, a pretty young woman named Melinda gave me the time of day. I wouldn't mind running into her again somewhere sometime. No, I didn't ask for her number. I am not wired that way for some reason. Glarp. Then, a guy I met at court came in and we had a nice time chatting and drinking. I had three beers - one Pork Slap and two Moo Poops - no, wait, Moo Thunder? The first was supposed to be a farm house ale - but really wasn't much of anything. The Moo Thunder was a stout and a decent one at that! They are from a NYS brewery located near Cooperstown NY.

So, all in all, a good day! Yay good days!

Appetizing?

Not great

Not Bad! :)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Bats in the bedroom?! Not. Good thing. How the heck are they getting in?!! And why?! I do think they don't all look the same. You may have the same bat...!! And bats that!

The beer cans are wild looking lol. We just have regular beer here. But as once mentioned, not a beer drinker.

We should discuss our moms. My mom is fast losing immediate memory. She'll ask what time it is about 5 times in a minute. I know it's not the same as ALHMR's but I see so many changes daily. We're addressing it now w/a neurologist. Is that a good thing?!!

Well, it's time for my thoughts on my own blog.

Blogger On...!!

Augustus said...

Let me know what your neurologist says! Scary stuff, Camille! Soldier on! :)