Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tax is taxing

The day turned out to be a rainy one, here in lovely Geneva, NY. Not what had originally been forecast. But Karl wanted to go on his adventure anyway. Before time, though, we got a call from the Nursing place saying that they couldn't come at their scheduled time. What? Karl set that up a month ago, at least. I had spoken with someone at the service and Karl had also spoken on the phone in depth with someone and at 9:30 in the morning they discovered that they couldn't make their 10 am appointment? Karl told them that was unacceptable. They eventually came to a compromise of 3 in the afternoon - which gave Karl time to do his adventure.

When the whole group, Karl, three kids and mom, headed off to Wagner's Vineyard for lunch, I had the house to myself! What did I do? Walked naked to the bathroom! Yay! Then I went to the bank. Fully clothed by the way. And that was about all. Didn't really take advantage of, but did wallow a bit in, the silence and solitude!

The visit from the VPN (whatever that stands for) was ok. At first she had the wrong idea that we were looking for services from her - which we weren't. When she finally got the idea, she did a walk-through of the house with me and gave us some good suggestions. These were for when mom gets a little further down the slope into the abyss. I think I need to find a good carpenter!

As we were touring, I got a call from The Smith asking me to come in for a bit - which I did - to do some neatening and sorting. More today, actually, but got what I needed to get done yesterday. Yay!

Dinner was all me last night - we had chicken, corn on the cob, orange glop (sweet potato) and green beans. I think everyone enjoyed some parts of the meal. Well, I enjoyed the whole thing. As did mom. And Karl. I guess it was the kids who only enjoyed parts. Orange glop disappeared into Jenna's maw as quickly as it was put in front of her.

After dinner, I had my regular night out downtown. It was raining quite a bit and not as toasty as it could have been, so I drove down. Red Dove was pretty empty! Eeek! Good for me, but not good for the staff. Had a nice time chatting with the bartender. Sadly, I am not going to be going back for a while. There have been some shake-ups there. Manager stepping down, staff leaving, and most irksome, raising prices of their beer by adding tax. I knew the tax was there before, but it was invisible. A $4 beer was $4. Now, a $4 beer is $4.30. How is that good for the bartender? And why make people deal with change? Just short sighted and silly. If they want to raise their prices, just add $.25 or $.50 to everything - there would still be change, but it would be quarters only and the bartender could still get tipped easily. Whatever. There are other places for me to visit.

No comments: