Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A second Alzheimer's Book Review (and more)

I stopped reading the other book that I had started - it was too out of date and just plain useless feeling for me to continue. Instead, I started this one, book three of six, that I ordered to read up on this whole Alzheimer's and Caregiver thing.

Alzheimer's Essentials, Practical Skills for Caregivers by Gordeau and Hillier had some good bits and some not so good bits. First off, it feels very scholarly and dry with a few feeble attempts at levity. Not an excellently written book, nor was it well edited - graphically and design-wise not scintillating at all. And the subtitle is a little misleading - I think "General Knowledge for Caregivers" might be a more accurate description of the contents of the book.

Overall the book contains decent information that a caregiver certainly needs to know, some of which is really, really depressing. One thing they said really amazed me - that some caregivers have their life expectancy shortened by 15 years. That is a lot of years. Good thing that I am decent at stress management and release. They kept harping on day care and providing a lot of social interaction. I know that mom is not much social interaction. Still, this is a tough one, especially here in Geneva and on our budget (or lack thereof). I liked the science bit about Alzheimer's and was sad that it was at the end instead of in the beginning with all of the symptom information. One thought presented that is tough for me is to buy into is to always agree with the patient - that s/he is always right. Um, no. I do agree that lying is sometimes easier and better for mom, though. Still, I don't think I will let go of being right sometimes. Ok, most of the time. That being said, I do try to make mom right as often as I can - restrain myself from correcting small things, validate and approbate as much as I possible. There is a lot in the book about preparation and planning, legal issues and such. All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who thinks they might have an Alzheimer's patient in their future - or present.

Here is the more: I am about ready to get the side, screened in porch, ready for summer. I did a lot of work out there yesterday and might even be able to sit on the porch today. That would be nifty. Sadly, the weather is supposed to take a turn for the worse starting on Thursday. Glarg.

I also sorted a box of papers from 2007. It smelled of cat pee and mouse poop. Does mouse poo smell? Hmm. I don't know. That was a pretty painful period of time in my life. Lots of sleepless nights over money matters. I probably ought to have declared bankruptcy then and there - would have saved me a lot of money and grief over the years. And I wouldn't, obviously, be doing it now. My life, would have been tremendously different. Oh well. C'est fromage.

No comments: