Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Porch Accompli!

One blog post, that will probably never see the light of day, is my xBox post - mostly about some games I play. Aren't you all salivating with wonder to know what will be in that post? Well, so am I!

I keep reading posts on Memory People - an FB group about Alzheimer's - and see stories that scare me to death. One about a mom who took off all her clothes and pooped all over the living room. That doesn't sound good. So far, I have it quite good with my mom. She stays dressed and uses the facilities. Go my mom! I wonder how long this will last. I am also starting another Alzheimer's book - this one with the depressing sounding title of The 36-Hour Day. Eeek! That is a lot of hours! More later as I read through it (or not). (Funny thing - one friend recommended I read this book after I wrote that I was going to start reading it...)

My goal was to get the porch done yesterday. I first washed off the floor - which entailed getting out the hoses. And then turning on the water in the basement. So many steps! The porch is cool, though - there are little doorlets on hinges that swing up to allow debris and water to escape the porch easily, all around it. I don't know who installed them - probably my father - but they are nifty. So I rinsed off the floor and let it air dry. Meanwhile, I went into the dark and dank basement and dug through piles until I found the soft goods that live on the porch for the spring, summer and fall. Cushions primarily and a rug. Of course, despite my efforts, they managed to acquire a small layer of crap from the redistribution of belongings from NC to NY. They aired in the sun while the floor dried.

The toughest part of putting the porch together by oneself is getting the rug down and under the weird bed thing that is on the porch. I must admit to some risque thoughts about the possibilities of that bed - though they probably won't be realized - probably ever but most likely not until mom is no longer around. That, though, might mean that the house is also gone. But I don't want to think about money matters. Ick. But I accomplished it - simply by moving everything away from where I wanted to lay the rug. A bit more work, but I handled it.

I would like to digress for a moment about gloves. I really should have worn my work gloves: thick, leather gloves, great for most labor. They make me feel stronger, more able and sort of invulnerable. Silly, but they do. But I didn't wear them. And I ought to have. Anyway...

 The same old chairs with the same old cushions that mom made are out on the porch in their proper places. I couldn't find the old spread that has been on the porch for the last, I don't know, 20 years. It didn't seem to be in any of the bags of soft goods that I found in the basement. I have a feeling I have seen it recently, but I am not sure where. So I used the Christmas "snow" bedspread instead. It works. I hope to find some of the throw pillows I brought from NC to use on the porch - add some color and variety to what is there usually. I am also thinking of bringing up my favorite chair and putting that out on the porch. Maybe. Maybe not too - it is tucked pretty far in the back of the basement. Hmm. I put the table in its spot underneath the variable height hanging lamp and, voila, the porch has come out of hibernation for the season! Yay! Goal achieved! Yippee!

I am thinking that I might start yet another blog - this one would be comprised of snippets from my relationship book. It would help me to get it organized perhaps. Or not. Still up in the air about it...and that book in general, in fact.

No comments: