Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Happiness is a warm dove?

What does happy look like? Hmm.

Life would be almost ideal here in Geneva, NY if it weren't for my constant nagging niggeldy poop money concerns. Not that they are impossible to overcome or that terrible compared to what some people face - but the US government isn't going to give me billions of dollars to help me out. I am not too big to fail. Sigh.

Oh, money and not having a romantic significant other in my life. Just those two things.

Otherwise, when I need to see what happy looks like, I look in the mirror. (Someone happy might be standing behind me.) No, seriously, I see me and I am pretty happy. About life. About me. About frogs. Yay frogs!

Warning - epiphany-let alert. Instead of trying to choose which glasses to let go of, I am going to start by putting aside the glasses that I know that I want to retain. The cool, specialty glasses for sure. The interesting shaped ones. And then some from my favorite beers. Everything else can go to the yard sale bin. Yippee! I start that project (and hopefully finish it) on later today (though I did do a little bit yesterday).

The great tea purge has begun as well. Neither my mom nor I drink tea more than once or twice a decade. Too much work to drink is part of the reason. And I am not a huge fan of hot drinks in general. Anyway, we have three shelves of tea in the kitchen pantry. Three. Shelves. Full. So, yesteray, I found a bag of tea on the floor near the shelves. It had leapt to the ground, probably hoping to escape its inevitable demise. Sadly, I found it and hurried it along to the trash can. Then went back and found another easy target - a jar full of tea bags from, hmm, 1812? Those also went bye-bye. More will follow in the fullness of time!

Good day yesterday! Yay! Mom kept saying that I had a boring day, and I guess from some perspectives, it could appear that way. We went back to the eye doctor's in Canandaigua for a follow up appointment, checking on the outcome of the laser zapping removal of the scar tissue from mom's cataract surgeries. (Wow, that was a long sentence!) Our first examiner was the best! Jackie - sweet, very patient with mom, gorgeous. Just great. Second one, not so great - no name, because, well, I don't like naming people who are not great. She just gave me the impression that she was put upon. And she was chewing gum, which never seems like a good thing in a service sort of situation. Last were our doctor team, who were nice enough. And zippy. We have been to the eye care center three times and, except for mom getting zapped by Doctor Hwang and his helper twice, we have had different people every time! Yay!

I also took in two pairs of glasses that were lying around the house, to see if either of them was a good enough match for mom to wear. Apparently both are ok! Yay! And we didn't have to pay a co-pay for some reason! Even more yay! We don't have to go back again for at least a year - and a lot can happen in a year.

After that, we headed home, stopping at the awesome Wegman's in Canandaigua. Love that place. And at Naked Dove for a growler fill. Yippee! (The growler will be opened on Thursday - hopefully in celebration of finishing putting away all of the glasses...) Mom has been going on about going out to dinner. So, after the BBC news, we headed to Friendly's. Jeanette, a server there, was very nice and came over and chatted for a while. Unfortunately, Mom's recently most favorite meal was not available - so we went with a fish fry platter - shrimp, scallops, flounder, fries and cole slaw. It was a pretty large amount of food. I managed to convince her not to finish it all - of which she was quite capable. I do know that I am lucky that she still has a good appetite. I will feed her some of the leftovers for her lunch today.

Later, I walked downtown to Red Dove for Tuesday beer night! And who should I meet on the road (and I did not kill) was the Buddha! Ok, sort of. It was David from the Smith. I twisted his arm, not too much, and he decided to turn around and walk back down with me! Fun time at the old local, despite it being pretty busy and crowded when we got there. We did get seats at the bar, after a couple of minutes. Yay. Didn't get much chance to talk with Jessica, the bartender, boo, but she did agree to be Facebook friends, huzzuh! Little does she realize what she has in store. Bwahahahahahaha. Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Monty's mom mentioned me to a mutual acquaintance. That's good, right? But she hasn't mentioned me since - that's bad right? Hope springs eternal, and also trying to keep expectations to a minimum. Tough balancing act, that.

After getting home last night, I watched Elvis and Annabelle. Not great. I rented it because I wanted to know if Blake Lively was more than just a pretty face. Nope. Either the script was bad, which it was, or the directing was bad, also true, or the editing was not great, ditto, or something. But it was not a good movie. I didn't like the lead guy either - though he did better in The Social Network. I thought there was no chemistry at all between the two leads. Joe Montegna did well, though. Probably the only redeeming thing about the movie. Oh well, live and learn.

Woke up this morning (Wednesday) feeling like it was Sunday. Weird. Ok, going back to sleep for a bit before starting on "Operation Glasses."

No comments: