Thursday, May 2, 2013

Egg rolls

The eggroll making process  may or may not have been mentioned before in this blog, but such is life! (See how I did that?!)

The way I currently make eggrolls is this: I buy Asian slaw mix, pick my meat of choice - usually chicken or shrimp - add spices - ginger and garlic primarily - toss everything in a bowl then wrap them up in store bought eggroll wrappers. This makes 10 or so egg rolls. Leaving two sheets of eggroll wrappers forlornly sitting in their container. In times past, I tried to make eggrolls again soon, so that these wrappers didn't go to waste - lest they turn all sort of pretty colors in the refrigerator. Other times, I just cut my losses and tossed them. Then, one day, I had one of them, thar' epiphany-lets: to wit, I could make wontons or rangoons out of the remaining wrappers - just cut the big wrapper in four and voila, voici - smaller wrappers! I have, for the most part, just put cream cheese in them. Lately, I have gotten more adventurous. Only my creativity limits me. Yay!

I read a book - no need to faint people - that my friend David lent me. Not sure why he did - maybe because I voiced an interest in language and linguistics. Perhaps? Anyway, it was called Don't Sleep, There are Snakes by Daniel L. Everett. I am glad I read it. The writing is pretty basic (terrible, actually) but the content was interesting - about the Pirahãs of the Amazon and their language. Too bad the book wasn't better written. Oh well. On to my next Alzheimer's book.

Speaking of reading, well, sort of, since my latest CD player was killed (by me) I have not been listening to books. In fact, I returned all the ones I had to the library. I have mixed feelings about this. And finding devices that play CDs isn't as easy as it once was. Grrr.

My work at The Smith yesterday went well. The event was an inspirational talk by an ex-professional wrestler. Good stuff. The people seemed to enjoy it. Everything went off without a hitch, which is great. Yay, even!

I will pay bills today. That is my dreaded task - though not as dreaded as it has been in the past. Oh, and this month is my mom's 83 birthday. Not sure if we are doing anything too special for it. I do have a present for her - and Karl is sending some stuff. I will probably go to the dollar store and get her a balloon and maybe some other things. And some cut flowers for sure. I like doing things for other people's birthdays - when they are near. I am not good at sending cards and presents to far away people (like across the street far...)

No comments: