Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mom's Day of Birth - 2013

The first thing I did was give mom her birthday helium filled balloon. She loves them, for some reason. Yay! Next, I got the mail and found a great package of chocolate from Ernst and Betty! Thank you for remembering! Next, I got a call from a florist saying that she couldn't find the house. Sigh. I directed her to our driveway and brought in a lovely vase full of spring flowers from Juliet and Paul! Awesomeness personified!

Pretty Flowers!
Friday was mom haircut day - so after getting dressed in a new shirt we bought her a few weeks ago at Target, we headed to the hair salon. Cindy and Carol there are both very nice to mom. I told them it was mom's birthday and Cindy comped her haircut, blew dried her hair and gave her a teeny container of face lotion to try out! Rock on Studio Salon. Poor me, I just sat there and (surreptitiously) ogled attractive women.
Mom post haircut

Next stop, Mr Twistee! I was excited to see that they had grape sherbet on hand. Sadly when I got to the window, they didn't - it was orange. Sigh. So mom got a dish of cappuccino crunch - which she thoroughly enjoyed - and I got nothing. We drove around a bit so that mom could see that spring had indeed sprung. So far, so good!

Before dinner started, I gave mom her presents. Karl had been very thoughtful and sent some marzipan fruit - one of mom's favorite things - one box for her birthday, one for Mother's day! Rock on Karl! I bought her the Ice book, which, as predicted, she looked at for five minutes. I do hope she will look at it some more, but at least I think she had momentary pleasure from it. 

The agenda continued with some of mom's favorite food for dinner. I bought some mussels at Wegman's. As I mentioned yesterday, I was a little worried about cooking them. I needn't have been. I followed a good recipe on the internet - wine and butter and garlic - what could go wrong there - and steamed them for a good long while. Mom had a little mussel feast. I think I ate a few. I did make myself artichokes, though. The rest of dinner, I now notice, lacked a green vegetable - but life is like that sometimes. I baked her some salmon, heated up some corn and made her some sweet potato to round out her meal. I don't think she could have been much happier gustatorily.

Mussels for mom
After dinner, we watched a Pixar movie that she didn't think she had ever seen. I was surprised because she is such a Pixar fan. Anyway, it was my second time seeing it and it was almost as good as the first time I saw sit - The Incredibles! Fun stuff.

Interspersed throughout the day were calls from well-wishers. Juliet called which always makes mom happy. Mary Gerhart phoned and invited mom to come visit in Chicago this summer. Sam, one of "the nephews" called which was great! He is promising to come visit this summer and we are looking forward to it! My ex--mother-in-law from California called as well!

All in all, I believe mom had a good celebration of her birth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

.Seeing your Mom with the box of tissues brought tears to my eyes. That was Mom's 'thing.' Everywhere she went, she had her tissues. One of her best (and most popular) scenarios was... If someone sneezed, she would pull this wadded up, scraggly-looking tissue from her pocket, shake it out ever so ladylike, hand it to them, saying, 'It's not dirty, it's just wrinkled.' Of course, we always graciously accepted the ratty looking thing anyway! When she passed away, I put a wadded up (but clean) tissue in her hand and instructed the funeral director that it was not to leave her hand! I don't know if my wishes were carried out or not, but I like to think they were.

And... your Mom's new 'do' is fabulous! She looks stunning!

Augustus said...

Great story, Pink! I might just have mom cremated with a box of tissues (her wish for the cremation). I agree about her new hair cut.