Thursday, May 16, 2013

How many frozen shrimp cocktail glasses does one house need?

There was a period of a few years back in the 70s I believe, that we went through a frozen shrimp cocktail episode. We got four or six packs of them and would have them with two or three meals a week. Back then, the containers were glass, very solid and formidable - about two ounces in size, though some were larger - three or maybe four ounces. I haven't measured them. Anyway, we, being savers and waste-not-want not-ers, kept the containers. They made decent juice glasses if nothing else. I remember at one point, an entire shelf of a cabinet filled with the things. I also remember at some point, a purge happening and many of them being let go. Fast forward to today - I had found about six of the glasses and have been using them for mom's pills. I don't really need all six for that purpose - two would probably suffice. Then, as I started to poke around in the glasses pantry, what should I find, but more of those things! Probably ten more. (14 actualy) Sigh. I think many of them will find their way into the sale pile and should they not sell, move into the recycling pile. Yay.

Speaking of the glasses pantry, it looks like there is some condensing that can be managed without too much expenditure of effort. If I were a good person, I would take this opportunity to take out everything in all of the cabinets, wash down the shelves, maybe put in new shelving paper, wash all the contents and put the stuff away in a neat and organized manner. Sadly, that isn't going to happen at this juncture. I am going to stick to my plan, get the dining room back to a null state and in the process let go of some of the glasses I have collected over the years. Maybe I will come back to the glasses pantry one day. Maybe not.

Operation Glasses Relocation has been completed! After a bit of consolidation and relocation, I got all the glasses I couldn't let go of (which was most of them, sadly) stuffed away into the cupboards (an appropriate place for the cups at least). The dining room is once more functional. Which is great. And a bit ahead of schedule. Yippee!

Last night after dinner, I went downtown to hang out with a friend I have known my entire life. We weren't always the best of friends, but longevity has a way of smoothing out issues, sometimes. In our case, it has indeed. He is a couple of years younger than I am, has a mom who also has Alzheimer's, and is a great person. He and his family live in Pittsburgh and have done so for a while. He is back in Geneva to take care of getting rid of his mom's house. They moved her to Pittsburgh assisted living last year and are just now getting around to selling the house. I totally understand how it can take that long. Anyway, it was great to sit and chat and catch up with him for a while. Yay.

After I got home, I put out the recycling. Many bins full. Well, the big blue bin and then a few trash cans full. We shall see if they take it all. I don't see why they wouldn't. There is more in the house, but I decided to put that out next week. Baby steps.

No comments: