Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lots of random memories

One of the reasons I enjoy sorting, sometimes, is the memories that are stimulated. Last night, I sorted through a shoebox full of four different things - check supplies from a few defunct accounts, address pieces of paper, business cards and fortune cookie fortunes. Yes, I save most all (yes most all) of my fortune cookie fortunes. When I run across one or a pile of them - since they are scattered through my belongings - I like to read a few of them and see what they say. I like the fortunes that are fortunes and not the ones that are silly statements. And I like to learn Chinese from the ones that have "learn Chinese" on the back. Ni hao, bai cai! (That means hello cabbage, I think.)

But the fortune cookies were the smallest part of the treasure trove I went through last night. Half of the contents were the checking supplies - I did not shred the checks. Somehow I can't get paranoid about checks from accounts that are defunct falling into the wrong hands! The evildoers at the recycling plant can have fun with those. In terms of mass, that was the largest part of the contents of the box - and they all went into the recycling bin. Yay.

The last two bits were the most interesting - the business cards and the address slips of paper. Lots of people turned up who I had not heard of or thought of for varying amounts of time. Old friends, old crushes,  old acquaintances and lots of people I did not remember at all. Many of them went into the recycling bin as well. A few were retained so that maybe one day, I might try and google them to see if they are easily found. If not, oh well. If so, they might be worth an email to say hello. I figure if they are important in my life, they will be there (here), if not, not.

I also found a bunch of business cards of mine. And of friends. I think I have four from my friend Ellen in Seattle. Seven or so of mine from different stages of my life. Love it. Overall, a very positive sorting experience. Yay!

My brother and his kids left yesterday, vowing to return one day. Perhaps in three months (after the summer). Eeek!

The Smith beckoned again yesterday. David and I did more sorting and labeling and testing and such. We worked on sound - testing the various microphones and equipment that had accumulated in the storage closet over the years. Then we went to Wal-mart - ick - and got containers - plastic containers. I love containers. We stored some of the stuff we uncovered and were not brave enough to let go. Good fun and so rewarding. The closet looks pretty good for now. Yay!

Last night I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes and though it was a pretty terrible movie, I am glad I saw it. Now I know how the Planet of the Apes became possible. Other than that, ick. I don't know why but very little about the movie appealed. I am not a big fan of Franco. I liked the lead woman but there seemed to be little chemistry between the two actors. The whole movie felt disjointed and choppy.


No comments: