Sunday, May 12, 2013

Nice Day Saturday

Saturday was the eye of the veritable storm. Not that mom's birthday on Friday and Mother's Day on Sunday truly constitute a storm. Still, I like the image.

Mom has been almost rapturous in how wonderful her birthday was. I think it was the book and the mussels that did it. If only the mussels didn't smell so fishy I would probably make them for her again. Ok, I probably will anyway. Soooo easy! All of the attention she got from others has been great, too! Speaking of which, the phone calls continued! Ernst and Betty called and had a good chat with mom. Mary Flett also tried to call, but didn't manage to actually speak with her. Maybe she will try again. Still no call from Karl, but I am sure he will call on Monday. I need to see if he would be willing to come alone when next he visits. Unlikely, I am sure, but it is worth asking.

Meanwhile, work continued on getting the house livable again after the influx of boxes and crap from NC. I see an end in sight for the living room, at least. Baby steps. What to do with all of the old software that is basically useless, though, is an issue. Are CDs recyclable? The internet says that they are and that curbside recycling doesn't do well with them. I will set them aside for now, but hope to get my act together and call Lyon's Road Trash on Monday and see what they say. If they accept them, I will let them deal with the discs. If they don't, I will just have to mail them off. I hate creating trash. I wish the whole world was recyclable.

After lunch, I ran a couple of errands. The grocery store beckoned so I stopped and got green beans for dinner. And eye drops for mom, who had lost her current bottle of artificial tears. (By the time I got back, she had found it. Now, if only we could find her glasses...) I also went to the dollar store to get mom another helium filled balloon. I had thought to also get a couple more chocolate roses for intriguing people, but they were sold out and had nothing else that was comparable. So, the interesting people will get thoughts of niceness only. Oh well.

My last stop on my errands was at Ravine's Winery. Again. I liked their wines so much last time that I decided last week to come back for the next two weeks and try their pairings tastings. This week I did the cheese plate. Next week the chocolate plate. The four cheeses were local, my most favorite being the goat cheese, my least favorite being a tomato and basil cheese curd sort. All were good though. And I must admit to being tempted, for a minute or two, to buy one. But I resisted the temptation. They also had a really delicious dessert wine, but at $30 a bottle, I passed on purchasing any. I had a pleasant time chatting with Monty's mom again - who I have decided looks a little like Scarlett Johansson. Not sure why I think that, but there you are. I haven't told her yet. May not in fact. Also chatted with a nice couple from Cambridge who made up for my not purchasing anything. Yay them!

Oh, I thought of possibly doing a few wineries this summer to add to my beer blog. What do you think? (Sure, I will get lots of comments...)

Back home, I made a dinner of left overs and added the fresh green beans to the mix. Chicken and corn on the cob. Mom enjoys corn so much, that I like to have it for as many meals as I can when it is available.

And late at night, I watched Paper Man starring Jeff Daniels and Emma Stone with Ryan Reynolds playing a large role. Overall, I found it to be an enjoyable movie. I am not the biggest Jeff Daniels fan, though he was fine (and rightly painful) in this movie. Emma Stone was Emma Stone, in a good way. And Ryan Reynolds was Ryan Reynolds - also in a good way. 

Today's goal - finish up more of the redistribution/repacking/culling from the living room and front hall. Did I mention that I am sorting paper boxes from NC? I have let go of a lot of stuff so far, and hope to let go of more today. The recycling bin on the front porch is already full and it is only Sunday! Eeek! I might put out a couple of broken down cardboard boxes as well.

Oh, I forgot to mention. One of my NC friends is actually following through on plans to come visit for a long weekend in June! I am so excited! Yippee, even!

No comments: