Sunday, December 11, 2011

Train Tracks, Sore Throat and a driving day

Had a couple of weird dreams last night - one of them was that train tracks had been put in right in front of the house here in Geneva - maybe a foot in front of the front door steps! Eeek! Another was working as a server somewhere and being fired because I asked why an entree had taken so long to come out. Another had me thinking that my teeny sore throat was actually strep throat! I am pretty sure it isn't, since it is almost gone this morning. All in all, though, I didn't sleep straight through from 10 last night until 10 this morning. Stuck together, though, I guess I got enough sleep. :)

Yesterday was a travel day. Lots of driving! Mom was up and at it early, which is great. We managed to hit the road by 9 in the morning. Huzzah! Very little in the way of slow downs - a couple here and there - one, of course, near Washington, but we never had to actually stop and start. Another because of a tire in the road. Our first pitstop was in Virginia at my favorite stopping place - exit 104. There was a very sweet cashier/worker sort named Madison who helped me to get my chicken soup act together. I had this thought that some chicken soup would be great for my throat. They had a can of Campbell's condensed chicken noodle - I added some hot water from their coffee maker and heated the mess up in one of the microwaves. Turned out pretty well. I drank it from a coffee sippy cup until I got down to the noodles - and ate those with the thoughtfully provided spork that Madison gave me.

Next pitstop, somewhere in Pennsylvania. I had decided to try to go back the way that we came - which worked out pretty well - it took very little effort in fact to follow Route 15N. Finding 270 was easy too - and those were the big challenges. Anyway, we stopped somewhere between Lewisburg and Mansfield or Williamsport or something. Sadly, the bathroom was basically a modern outhouse and not at all pleasant. :(

Since the timing was going to work out, I chose to actually stop for dinner on the way home - rather than getting home and then finding something to eat. Crooked Rooster in Watkins Glen seemed like a good destination. We got there about 7 and the place was deserted! Not even crickets chirping! Apparently it had been like that all night. So the staff was excited to see us. We had a great server. I'd like to note how much more pleasant a meal is, at least for me, when my server is, as Lindsay was, attentive, attractive, intelligent and fun! She and her husband moved from the Buffalo area a while back. Oddly enough, I had seen her once before, at the Finger Lakes Craft Brewing event last summer. Her picture might even be on the blog (it isn't) - I know it is on my Facebook page somewhere. Anyway, we ordered mussels and a hamburger to share, as well as a flight of beer - 9 tasters. I had forgotten how expensive their tasters were! Oh well - still enjoyable beer. I think Seth, the brewer, does a great job with darker beers especially. We had Cajun mussels and mom enjoyed them - I think I got to eat four! I would say that mom was as happy as a clam... :)

Then a short hop back up to Geneva (not even 45 minutes, Lindsay...) and after unloading the car, straight into bed for me. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow!

I am going to post a week in review (mostly about book selling frustrations and success etc.) in my writing blog - I know - aren't you thrilled?

Photos from December 10, 2011:

Where we stopped in Virginia

Me and my flight - the pumpkin was good too!

Mom had already had one mussel!

Lindsay!

No comments: