Monday, December 5, 2011

Up in time for Spanish Class and...

Up in time for Spanish Class and...I don't have to go! Yippee! I wonder what time the Spanish exam is a week from Friday? I hope it isn't early in the morning. Or maybe I do - just to get it over with...Anyway, that is a thought for another time and place.

Yesterday was my first full day back in Raleigh. Yippee? It is weird being back. Weird seeing all these people who I have known for 3, 5, 10 years and haven't seen in 8 months. Just like never having left in most cases, which to me is the sign of either good friendship or solid acquaintance-ship. Mom and I got out of the motel in a timely fashion. The Saucer is only five minutes away - except for a light for getting onto Capital that takes 5 minutes all by itself. Found a parking spot right in front, which was good since I wanted to take the books inside and store them - less lugging for me. A nice guy name Ben, a person I met once at one of Tim Phillips' tables, helped me carry boxes. Julie, his girlfriend, actually helped too! I gave them a copy of Bar Dreams - they later bought a copy of Diary of a Plate Addict. I was heartened!

Mom and I had brunch - gee, that hasn't changed. Still ok at best - though mom had seconds. I had a couple of NC beers. And lots of regulars came in. Sadly, most of them didn't buy copies of the book. What is that about? More whinging about that in a bit. It was great seeing people and chatting with them. We stayed until about 2:30 and then we went back to the motel to chill for a couple of hours. I knew I was exhausted and I was pretty sure that my mom was too.

I used some of my newly acquired Spanish to tell the housekeeping people that we were leaving around 5 and that the room could be made up then. I think they understood me...

Round two, Diary of a Plate Addict book release event. I was expecting 9 or so people from the Tri-Beer Meet-up and 20 people had said they were coming on the Facebook event. Sadly, that wasn't the case. It was a decent turnout, but not quite that many. Good group who did come! And many of them actually bought copies. I know a lot of couples, apparently - they of course only bought one copy per pair. I had been hoping to sell 100 copies. I didn't. I sold 20. Still, much better than nothing. What I don't understand is the people who didn't buy copies. I mean, yes, it is expensive, but, it is a great looking and feeling book. And it is about a place that they come all the time (most of them at least). Or work there. Why aren't more of the staff rushing to buy copies? I thought Hope at least would. And Cat. But not one staff member has bought a copy so far. Sigh. Well, we shall persevere.

I had a lovely time talking with people. I hadn't seen Crystal and Garrett for a long time - Maria too! Jeanie come and brought her friend Barbara who I hadn't seen in a year - Dave F sort of monopolized her time, but she didn't seem too upset by that. Paul and Marie came - what a great couple - Marie spent a long time helping my mom feel spoken with. Dara chatted with me for a while about all the positive changes in her life. I spoke a little with Cate and Jonathan. Cindi and George Miller came - and it was great to see them and feel their support and encouragement - both for the book and for my mom situation. Wendy and Gerry came - poor Wendy wounded a wing! But it was great to see them! Eric and Nancy came - and invited us to dinner - which I think we will take advantage of - maybe on Wednesday.  Robin was having a plate party - which is not surprising - at the table next to mine and it was good seeing him and that particular group of Saucer fans. Ted Hurley bought three copies of DPA and one of Bar Dreams. Yay Ted! If I have forgotten any one, please forgive me! It was a hectic day!

We stayed until about 9 and then headed out. Yippee! I was exhausted. Though that didn't stop me from playing some Skyrim after we got back to the hotel... :)

Today - errands. And maybe some actual Spanish Studying. Ok, probably not...

Photos from December 4, 2011:

Mom all ready to eat brunch

Saucer brunch - I wonder how many of these I have eaten...

Cindi and George Miller - thrilled beyond compare with their purchase! :)

Cindi and mom!

A picture of the DPA release Event


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about some pictures of you?? After all, you are the writer!

Augustus said...

Thank you for the thought! I am sure a picture of me will creep in once in a while...

Emily Miller said...

my mom is lulling your mom into a deep sleep.

Augustus said...

Or maybe a sense of warmth and security... :)