Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wild Wednesday

We are just rocking Raleigh! Wild times abound here with my mom. Sadly, I haven't been able to convince her to go to a museum - too much walking - so, we just went to see another movie. Mom says that she should only go to see animated movies now, cause she doesn't understand other movies. We went to see Crazy, Stupid Love. I am a sucker for romantic comedies. This one was well scripted an mostly well acted. Sadly, Steven Carrell did some of his usual schtick that didn't always work for me in this movie. Overall, I liked it a good deal. Not one I would own, but happy to have seen it. And for only $2!

Next we went searching for food. I was hoping to have a sushi lunch, but did not stumble upon an open sushi place. They all seemed to close between lunch and dinner, well at least the two that I sought out and the one I passed (Tsune, Sushi Blues and Sushi Bistro(?)) We ended up at Bada Bing's pizza - yay! I love pizza. And there's was a pretty good recreation of NY Style thin crust street pizza! Yay! I even had a second piece. Woo hoo!

We headed to the Saucer for the 4th day in a row - only 2 more to go - yippee!! - and parked in one of my favorite locations - a little farther than the last couple of times, but that is ok. Got mom in and settled, and Jeff actually stapled a garland up so that mom would not have it at the back of her head! Yay Jeff! He thought that Wednesday was not a good day for a table up front. But he will let me be up there Thursday! Yippee! I got mom settled and got my books and prepared for another lackluster sales day. I did have the visits of some friends to look forward to...

I am torn about having to drag mom out to the Saucer everyday. She professes to be ok about it, but I think it must be tough on her. The place does get loud by the time we leave. And she isn't always the center of attention. She enjoys being the center of attention. And the way the tables are situated, it is hard to incorporate her when someone wants to talk with me. So I feel bad. I would feel worse, though, leaving her in the motel room by herself. Sigh. I don't know what is going to happen on future trips. Or if there will even be future trips. I will need to sit with Jeff and see what advice and thoughts he has for the future selling of Diary of a Plate Addict. He knows his fellow managers better than I do and how best to approach them and what efforts they might be capable of supporting. Anyway...

Two friends did show up - Grace and April - both of whom I have know for a bunch of years. The both seemed to be doing well, no major traumas or dramas going on in their lives. It was great to get a chance to hang out with them. Cate showed up and had her party for her second plate (she is working towards her fourth plate). And brought me the most amazing surprise. A cake with Diary of a Plate Addict on it - pictures below. I hope she had fun at her party - we didn't really get to hang out much. She had a good turnout. Mom and I bailed from the Saucer at about 8 and went in search of Sushi - finding Sushi blues was indeed open! We got my favorite - a spider roll - and a new favorite - the Jimmy V - which was a spider roll with crab on the outside too! Thank you Russell and Kim for suggesting it! We also had some miso soup. Yum city!

All in all, quite a day. And 7 copies of Diary of a Plate Addict were sold - most to people who I didn't actually know! How cool is that?!

Photos from December 7, 2011:



Mom and me - mom looking thrilled beyond compare

The awesome cake Cate got for me!

Me with my books and the cake!

Cate looking up at her about to be revealed plate - and the blonde woman who actually bought a copy of the book (Sue)

Our rolls from Sushi Blues - Yum!


2 comments:

Summerhill said...

Is your book on Amazon?

Augustus said...

It is on Amazon - but it is more expensive and won't be signed and personalized there - better to go to www.renottopress and get it, if you want to save money and have a memento version! :)