Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lobster

Wegman's has extended its lobster sale! Yippee! I guess I know what mom and I will be having for our New Year's Eve dinner! Though, I must admit to a bit of reluctance towards cooking them. I do feel that lobsters are probably endangered and they are our fellow creatures. I don't like having to personally "do in" the food I am eating. I can't imagine the psychic toll that people who work in slaughter houses and such deal with. Eeek! Well, we shall see what happens. Maybe I can have mom do the actual lowering of the lobsters into the water. Probably not, but anything is possible...

Yesterday we had an uncharacteristically warm day here in beautiful Geneva! It got up to 48 degrees. True, the wind was blowing the rain sideways, but it was still nicer than if that precipitation had been sleet. Now, if it had been snow...I am still hoping for a white Christmas. Not the big fluffy, have-to-shovel-the-drive sort of White Christmas. Those don't seem to be all that likely anymore. Even a dusting would be acceptable. The weather report hints that it could happen.

I went shopping at the Outlet mall. I had been worried that I wouldn't think of a reason for me going there that would not make mom suspicious. I hit on the idea of having to find more ramekins. Mom fell for that. I did look for ramekins, but my primary goal was to find a couple of books for mom. What I really wanted was a book on Tree Farming or Tree husbandry or something like that. I will have to look on Amazon and get her something from there for after Christmas. What I did find were two books - one a kids book about a tree in New York City and a book of New Yorker Cartoons/Puzzles. I don't know that either will actually truly appeal, but there you have it.

Meanwhile, I was aghast to find that ramekins were really expensive! I saw one that was $12! For a 4 oz ramekin!! What the heck was it made out of? Gold? Nope. Weird. I ended up getting four for 6 dollars at the Corning Ware store. Yippee! Now, I need to get the ingredients to make the cakes - I think we have most of them already. Just need the chocolate...

Next stop, Beef and Brew! I got there just as Mike, one of the owners, was heading out! He told the bartender to give me whatever beer I wanted for free! As a Christmas present! How awesome was that!?! I didn't get him anything. :( And I didn't take too great advantage of that kindliness. I had a Lindeman's Peche, an Anchor Porter and a Stevens Point Whole Hog Russian Stout. All very tasty! Yippee! While there, I chatted with two new to me people - Bruce and Griffin - about beer - both were aficionados. It is always nice to talk with others who love beer. Bruce especially had some good thoughts about brewpubs in the area! Fodder for the brew-pub book!

And I made pizza for dinner! Turned out pretty well - but I need a better pan for cooking the pizza - right now I use a cookie sheet and the pizza remains a bit soft and flabby - especially towards the center. Sigh.

Mom and I watched the movie Fallen Idol - a netflix dvd. How it got on mom's queue I do not know. She had seen it before. I had not, and will, thankfully, not have to see it again. Not all classic movies are, well, classic. This one was about a four on a ten scale. I think that mom enjoyed it more than I did - at least I hope she did!

Ok, picture time! December 21, 2011:

Bar Dreams proudly displayed at the Beef and Brew!

precooked

All yummy!

No comments: