Sunday, December 4, 2011

Have to remember

Haha, I spelled have, "haf" at first. Sigh.

Anyway, I have to remember that I am choosing to be here for my mom. So, when she calls me and asks me something for the umpteenth time, or needs me to do some silly little thing, or is having trouble packing or putting on shoes or...well, you get the point - rather than feeling irked at the interruption, or feeling put upon - well, I have my permission to feel those things, then let them go and choose my response - feel glad that I am able to be there for her. It can be a challenge at times. We shall see how I do in the weeks and months (and years?) to come...

Yesterday was another wonderful travel day! Yay! I took a new-to-me route again, and I think this one is a keeper! True, I still go through the mishegas of Washington, so I need to find a way to get past that, but overall, I think it is an hour shorter than the freeway, way - even with lights and such. Yippee! We got out around 10, which is a reasonable time. Mom was not packed particularly well. She had on one outfit and that was all she had taken in terms of actual clothing. She had packed a nightgown and the four pairs of socks and four pairs of underwear I had suggested - but nothing else clothing wise. We rectified that situation, easily enough. For a woman with closets overflowing, the lament of "I don't have enough clothes to wear" can seem a bit silly. But I also understand. Having those clothes doesn't mean that they are things that she likes to wear. Or remembers well enough to choose to wear them. I am hoping that I can get her to let Ginger go through some clothes with her. And I think I have convinced her to let Ginger help her with a shower. We shall see how that goes. If it goes well, I may up Ginger to once a week instead of once ever two weeks. After I get back to Geneva, come hell or high water (love that phrase for some reason) I will definitely call the leader of her organization and maybe even Dr. Rifai, and start to get some information under my belt. Like, is there a clearish indication of how to tell when mom is declining? Signs, like consistently not knowing some specific thing? I certainly don't know at this point...

Mom did well on the trip, limiting her "are we there yets" to once every half hour or so. We stopped twice, I think. Once in Pennsylvania and once in Virginia. I need to find a better stopping place in Pennsylvania. I think the answer is Lewisburg (yay Lewis!). We shall see.

We got to Raleigh and got into the hotel easily. It is up near 440 - so only 5 minutes from the Saucer. And a lot less expensive than the hotel right across the street from the Saucer. After getting mom in and settled-ish, I headed out to the Saucer for a look-see. It was fairly busy, and I didn't think I would see any patrons that I knew. I was wrong, I saw at least five! Yay! One couple, Bryan and Sarah, went so far as to track me down and get me to sell them a copy of Diary of a Plate Addict! Thank you B&S! Another just said hi! And the last two both said they were coming to the book release event. Ann was mad that I hadn't sent her an email about the event. Sigh. I wonder how many people feel that way or people who I neglected to contact in some way. With Facebook no longer sending out things actively, I don't know if many of the invitees even noticed that they were invited to an event. Giving them the benefit of the doubt...Anyway, had a good chat with Jeff and am looking forward to a week of Saucering! Yippee!

And there we have it, a day to be recalled fuzzily (travel days are like that, generally).

Photos from December 3, 2011:

Yay frost on the car!

Full trunk

I hope to have a lot fewer books to bring home...

Someone was towing an airplane! Coolio! :)

No comments: