Friday, December 9, 2011

Throbbingly Thursday

This title seems repetitive. Hmm - Thoroughly Thursday - well, if I change it, it won't seem repetitive? Not feeling creative just yet - we will see what the morning brings. (Changed the title)

Summerhill asked in a comment if Diary of a Plate Addict is available on Amazon. Yes, yes it is. But it is full cost on Amazon, though it is a good place to look at the book more in depth - it has inner pages and other things. The best place to get the book is from Renotto Press - because if you order it from there I can actually sign the book and personalize it for you. As with most things, though, the choice is yours! Yay choice!

Thursday dawned blue and cool here in Raleigh, NC. I had a chat with the owner/manager (not sure how Econolodges work - but I think it is sort of a franchise deal) about my interaction with one of his staff members. I am still thinking of filing a formal complaint about the guy. Wow - really pushed my buttons. Maybe we are that much alike? Nope. Or at least I hope not. Especially when I am in a service sort of position. Great way to start the day!

My plan was simple - have as relaxing a day as possible. We have been going pretty much non-stop since we got here and I think it is taking a toll on mom. She is, as I am, for different reasons I am sure, eager to get back to Geneva. For her it will be the comfort of being in her house and not living out of a suitcase, for me it is seeing, er, people. It will be a long, uphill drive tomorrow (for some reason, driving North "feels" like going uphill) but it will also feel a bit like going down hill. Weird. All this is to say, I didn't really want to do a lot yesterday. So, we didn't.

Got mom some coffee at Awful (Waffle) House - at least the coffee isn't too bad apparently. Mom was tired and wanted to sleep in the car, so I left her to sip her coffee while I checked out GPS devices at Best Buy at Glenwood. I am learning more! Tom Tom is still ranking high - though one of the Garmin's that I saw I liked a good bit too. One of the features I am looking for is the ability to see what the next few actions are going to be - so I can see if the route is one that I like or so that I can be better prepared. There was a very nice young woman there who took time to show me how to work the Garmin - she was as helpful as the in store guy James. Thank you Jennifer! Have fun with your toaster! :)

I went and got mom out of the car and we went to Barnes and Noble. Mom wanted to leave with five or six books, but I managed to talk her down. It was tough, cause if I had had the money, I would have bought five or six of their special edition collections that are now on sale - Collected Twain, Collected Verne, Poe, Austen all sorts of great things. Sigh. She also wanted the latest Scarpetta Novel - but I think we are going to get it on Amazon. We shall see.

Next stop, lunch - at McCormick and Schmick's - for those of you who don't know, this is a higher end Seafood chain that started in Seattle, I believe. Nope - I just looked at the Website - Portland Oregon was where they began. Well, the first place I saw one was in Seattle, for what that is worth...I figured mom deserved a treat - we had mussels as an appetizer - not awesome but good. She had a cup of soup and I had a huge cobb salad! I could only eat about half without it starting to come out of my ears! Really yummy and cool looking.

To keep us having a relaxing day, we headed back to the hotel for a couple hours of rest and relaxation before another brutal stint at the Saucer. I hope mom got some napping accomplished - I played a bit.

Then, off to the Saucer. We were trying something different last night - putting me at a table up near the front of the bar. I was hoping for lots and lots of people to come up and talk to me. Sadly, that wasn't the case. But despite the lack of foot traffic, it was a good day of sales! The most important one was a sale to Stephanie - a home office/trainer manager sort. I have met Stephanie a few times over the years. She remembers me while it takes me a minute to figure out who she is. First thing she did was buy a copy of the book. Then, throughout the night, she promoted it - that didn't lead to any sales that I am aware of - but she did listen to my tale of lack of corporate support/woe and said she would see what that was all about when she got back to Texas. She liked the book and thought, as I do, that it would do well in their merchandise cases. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a shift in corporate policy...anything is possible. A few random people bought copies - one woman, Wendi, bought a copy for her husband - who is plate number 36 at the Raleigh Saucer and was overjoyed to do so! How great is that? Another guy bought one just because he chatted a bit with me. And the Saucer is going to buy some for the managers. Yippee!

Poor mom had to sit at my table all by herself. Unlike me (well, at least now) she felt uncomfortable sitting there with all the crowds eying her empty seats. I think a few people went and talked with her, but still, it wasn't optimal for her.

I saw a couple of friends - Grace came again with her "friend" Richard. Emily also came by with a friend from some state called Pennsylvania (never heard of it). And I saw lots of acquaintances - none of whom bought books. Whatever. Their loss.

We finally got out of there after I took a last minute credit card sale - yay paypal! - and headed to Eric and Nancy's for dinner. It was so kind of them to offer. It made a tremendous change from eating out all the time. Nancy's lasagna was yummy! And we got to talk without shouting! Their house is all decorated for Christmas and looks great! I hope that our tree looks 1/8th as nice!

Then, back home and sleep! Yippee!

Last day in Raleigh. I am planning a major, major culling of Facebook "friends" after this visit to Raleigh and I can hardly wait.

Photos from December 8, 2011: (Look anonymous, more pictures of me - aren't you thrilled?!)

At McCormick and Schmick's

Yummy lobster Cobb Salad!

All ready to tell people about the book!

Me and Grace!

Nancy's delicious lasagna!

Me, mom, Christmas Tree, Nancy and Eric - this could be a Christmas Card picture! :)


No comments: