Friday, November 18, 2011

To Skyrim or not to Skyrim

I broke down and ordered a copy of Skyrim - the next Elder Scrolls RPG. Sigh. I probably shouldn't have done it for three reasons - 1) it may well be a huge time suck - 2) I can't really afford it and 3) I already have games I haven't played. Sigh. Double sigh even. Well, I have resisted the temptation so far. I must admit that I am toying with the idea of taking the game, box and monitor with me to Maine when we go on Monday. We shall see.

Maybe I oughtn't to write my blog after I have eaten lunch. More leftovers and some freshly made coleslaw have put me right to sleep. Well, I did get up a little early today to be wide awake for my Spanish exam - which I am pretty sure I passed, but that is about it. I got confused on one verb and misconjugated it all over the place. Poop! Maybe I will just take a fifteen minute power nap and get right back to it. Ok - naptime.

Well, that's a bit better.

Two more great people have purchased copies of Diary of a Plate Addict - Tim, a friend from High School, and Matt, a Saucer friend who I haven't seen in at least a year, maybe two. I got both packages in the mail yesterday! Yippee! Only 996 more to go to reach my goal of 1000 copies sold by April 30, 2011. All help is appreciated! :)

Mom and I went out yesterday, at mom's instigation. We went to a closing/going out of business jewelery store and I convinced her not to buy a watch for anyone. Nor any jewelry. It was tough, but I stuck to my guns. We did end up going to the Linden Exchange across the street. Years ago, mom took some clothes in there that she thought were decent and worth some money. The Linden Exchange would sell things for whatever they thought they could get and would give a percentage of that to the donor. Well, mom is sure that they put low prices on her stuff so that the workers could buy the things for themselves, instead of putting higher prices on the things and her getting more money. She hadn't been in, to her recollection, since then. Must be 10 or so years at least. Anyway, we ended up getting a sweater, that she thinks is too small now, a kid's piece of clothing that we are going to give to Karl and Candace for one of their kids, a towel, because mom liked it, and three stuffed animals - a kiwi, an ostrich and a fish. Mom likes her stuffed animals, here in her second childhood! $11 dollars and mom was a happy camper (instead of a watch for $150)!

Went to a reading last night with no expectations. I like to live with no expectations. Anyway, Wyatt Mason was the presenter - critic, author and now journalist. The piece he read was about his visit to Beijing and meeting Ai Wei Wei. I had heard of Ai but didn't know much about him. The piece was great and reminded me of my time in Beijing and in China - though I was there years and years ago now.

On the way home, I noticed that it had indeed snowed a smidge! Yay!

Photos from November 17, 2011:

The store that mom almost bought a watch in - apparently it has been open since 1905 or so.

Two more kind and brave souls bought copies of Diary of a Plate Addict - 996 to go!

Mom's Linden Exchange haul!

A poster for the reading I attended

First snow in Geneva. Probably not the last. :)





2 comments:

T Regan said...

I believe the Andover Alumni magazine runs a regular piece about alumni in print...submit "Diary" to them for next issue

Augustus said...

Great idea, Tim! You are awesome!