Monday, November 14, 2011

Opportunities

I am not pushy, generally. Certainly not "Type A."(Not high strung). Much more of a laid back sort of guy. Which is good and bad. Bad when it comes to getting what I think I want.

Notice I say that I think I want. I mean, if it something one lacks (which you really don't, but that is another bit of philosophy) how do you know its essence and how that essence will actually be? Sure you can imagine and believe, but neither of those are true experience (again, more philosophy for another day).

Anyway, in this instance, I have a little rule. If I see someone three times, I will, sometimes, make an effort to actually communicate with them. This normally relates to people I find superficially (since I don't know them any other way) attractive. Last night, I went to Wal-mart to buy ramekins. They didn't actually have any that I liked, but I bought two anyway - they always come in handy. I also bought some raspberries for my chocolate soufflé - gotten for me special by a worker named Courtney who was just helping out in the Geneva store - moonlighting? - from her regular store in Canandaigua. Anywho, while I was waiting to see if Courtney would be successful, I saw a very attractive (to me) woman also shopping in the produce area. We interacted briefly and I thought - gee, she is appealing. That being thought, I went about my business and exited the store. Only to see that woman again, heading back inside with some bags to recycle. We interacted again very briefly - like a head nod or a smile or something. I thought, yup, didn't even say hello, Augustus. Great. Never will see her again. Yet another opportunity to meet someone new to me out the window. Sigh. Got in my car and drove to Wegman's. I needed a chicken for dinner. And lo and behold, there she was, standing in line at the deli. I said something about her following me and she said yup, she was. And off I wandered. Sigh again. As I went to get a few more things items, including two more ramekins (which were exactly what I was looking for) I decided to go back and try to find her and actually ask her name. I went back and she had vanished. Slightly dejected, I headed around the store once more and almost knocked her over as she came out of one of the aisles. Ok, I said to myself, let's do this. So I said, hi and we chatted for a bit. I gave her a card - and this is part of the not being a type A thing that I started this paragraph with - I didn't ask her for her contact information - I just gave her mine. If you like something, let it go - if it comes back...also, less rejection possibilities there. Chicken? Perhaps. Ok, probably. Chances of hearing from her - what do you think - 1 in 100? 1 in 1000? Anything is possible - most things are unlikely.

I think that next January, I will continue this blog and start another. The other will be a writing blog. Snippets of work from various projects. This one will continue, but I still don't know with what frequency. At least once a week, that is for sure. And more often when something interesting happens.

I made soufflé last night. I think I would like a savory soufflé better than the chocolate one. The chocolate one was tasty, but too eggy for something sweet - maybe I just made it less than optimally. It was yummy, though. And dinner was pretty good as well. Yippee!

Photos from November 13, 2011:
Goodness that was a yummy dinner!

Turned out ok! :)


No comments: