Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fun Adventure-let Friday

I got a partial day off yesterday, which is always a good thing. Mom opted to not accompany me on my adventure-let. Got up and got out at a reasonable time and drove to scenic Hallowell, Maine. This city is just South of Augusta - might even be considered a suburb in other circumstances. I found The Liberal Cup easily enough. Nice signage. There was a slight wait for a table, but not long enough to even notice, really. I sat in the front part of the establishment. There was more seating in a second area, away from the bar. I liked my seat. I got to see lots of people. Yay people watching! My server, Angel, was very pleasant. Although she had only been there a few weeks, she was obviously a seasoned server. I immediately ordered water, lots of ice with a lemon (this is kind of a test and also how I like my water). And I asked if they had a sampler of their beers. They did - a paddle of six for $5. Yippee!

Beer arrived and I ordered a reuben - also kind of a test. I have had many reubens all over the place and sort of get a gustatory impression of a place from their rendition - plus fries. The beer was mostly ok, with two good ones - their cream stout was tasty and their cask IPA was also good. The others were kind of blah. Drinkable, but not worth noting here. Soon the reuben came along. It was good, not great. I was fortunate to have a member of their mug club sit next to me. Apparently the deal is if you drink 250 beers in less than a year, they give you a mug with your name on it - and refills are less expensive than they are for other people. Not too bad. Not too difficult if one lived near by - which I don't. Oh well.

Still, all in all, a nice place and I would probably go again. Will it make it into the book (if the brewpub book happens)? I don't know.

Next, toodled back to Juliet's house where we had a few hours to kill before heading out to dinner. I played Skyrim. Which I told them to all think of like reading a book. I don't know if they bought that, but it did make me feel a little better. An RPG is sort of like a book - there is a story, with little side stories and the character does have a trajectory, if not an arc.

We decided to go to Darby's in Belfast, which I know I have been to at least once before. Mom and Juliet ordered lamb, I ordered beef short ribs that sounded better than they ended up being. Oh well. And Paul? Well, just as we were getting ready to get into the car to go to dinner, his pager went off and he had to go in to the hospital. I am glad I am not a doctor, for many reasons - being on call is one of them!

Back to J&P's and quickly to nap so that we could rise early today and get on the road. More of that in tomorrow's exciting installment of - The most boring life on the planet! :)

Pictures from November 25, 2011:

The Sign

Festive beer board

Looked good, but needed something - maybe more dressing, swiss cheese and sauerkraut?

Although my entree wasn't delicious, the mussels were great!


No comments: