Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Holidays creep up on me

Sometimes I am so oblivious. I did not realize that today was the celebration of Martin Luther King's Birthday! Sigh. No mail, no banks. Some businesses are open - probably most. Mom has a doctor's appointment, so I just plum didn't figure it out until just a minute or two ago. Oh well. Not a big deal. I will just mail my letters and netflix thing tomorrow. I think I just heard the rubbish guys, which is good...

Now I am all discombobulated. Well, it was going to be that sort of a day in any case. Anytime mom has an appointment the day gets a little weird. And the weather is supposed to change drastically, briefly - warm today and warmer (all relative) tomorrow. I think into the 40s. And lots of wind. Secondly, Kelly, the young woman who I helped a couple of times with English wants me to go to the Hospital with her. Unclear why but more discombobulation. And I was hoping to go to the movies today, to see Hugo - at my sisters fervent recommendation. I found that it was still playing at a movie theatre not too scarily distant from here. In Penn Yan. I don't know much about Penn Yan.

Oops, I didn't get this posted yesterday. I am a bad blogger. Bad! Which circle of hell is reserved for bad bloggers? Hmm?

So, onto the recounting of yesterday's non-regular happenings.

Kelly did in fact call, around 11. I went and picked her up and tried to figure out what she needed. Turns out she needed to go to the hospital and request that her records be sent to the insurance company. Very easy. She is a nice person. I dropped her at Wegman's and returned home. Who said "No good deed goes un-punished!"? I wounded my right index finger on a door at the hospital. I was tempted to go to the Emergency room - then remembered that I have no money and am uninsured. So I opted for putting a band-aid brand adhesive bandage on my finger myself at home. Makes typing more than a little awkward, though...

Next, mom to Dr. Rifai. We had to wait almost 40 minutes to have her appointment with him. Mom doesn't seem to have deteriorated noticeably in the past six months. That is a good thing. Dr. Rifai sort of suggested that we try Namenda - a drug that is supposed to help slow the degradation of the nerves in a person's brain. It is expensive and from my reading, I don't think it is right for mom. If she were having more problems, I think I would try it - I would try anything in that case - but so far, mom is in early stages of the disease. What I need is a second opinion.

The third adventure for me (second for mom) was to go to Penn Yan to see Hugo. It was easy getting to Penn Yan. Teeny little town. I hadn't set my GPS so I was using my innate sense of direction and my driving karma to try to find the movie theatre. I went this way and then that, following my nose. We stopped at a Gas station. My plan was to fill-up and then ask the attendant where the movie theatre was. Mom, sitting in the passenger seat, said "What's Peebles?" (Peebles is a local department store chain.) I looked to see what she was talking about and saw a sign for the movie theatre! Go mom! It was right across the street from the gas station we were using. Yay us!

The movie was good, not great, in my opinion. Maybe a 7 out of 10. Many people are raving about it, like my sister. I didn't like the pacing. I thought the boy was not a very good actor. I liked the story and some of the images. I didn't like the girl that much either. And the side stories were cute, but not awesome. Overall, I enjoyed it and am glad that we hunted it down.

Dinner was eggrolls, corn and spinach. Yum!

My windshield task!

Would have been a better picture without the Jeep

I sought and the Geneva house provided!

An omelet

Wendy's Food - mom's prize for being good at the brain doctor's office

See the Peebles Sign?!

Eggrolls, spinach with peapods and corn

My owie! No one around who I would like to kiss it and make it better...

4 comments:

Sam said...

I'm with you on Hugo. Good, but not great. A nice movie for kids--very appropriate for Lewis who got lots out of it I think, but more out of the superb new Muppet Movie.

Augustus said...

Loved the Muppet Movie!

Anonymous said...

"Hugo" reminds me of a video game I played called Syberia...It has the same look and feel and subject matter..My nephew wants to see it..I think it is playing in Lawrence.

Augustus said...

The movie just seemed clunky to me - maybe it would have been better in 3d but I don't think so. It is worth seeing, but I would have rather seen it in a second run house for less. :) I don't think I ever played Syberia...