Saturday, January 7, 2012

The first Saturday of the Year!

Yay! Saturday! Woo hoo!

Ok, so I have no huge Saturday plans. I think I will spend part of the day, not a large part, but a painful part, paying bills. And I also intend to write a few of my Facebook letters - I have already written two so far today. Yay me. But more about that will be posted, eventually, on my writing blog. Yesterday, was another day.

And it was a day full! Susanne, mom and I had lunch at Dallywater's. This is a tea place that opened, I discovered, just after I moved here last year. They had been in Naples, NY previously apparently. The owner was our server. A very nice woman with a gentle English accent. The decor is bright and clean. The service was a bit glacial. And the food, though good, did not send me. Luckily, Susanne made the whole thing enjoyable. She is so nice to my mom - they reminisced about people they both knew at the Colleges. It is just great for mom to have as much low pressure social interaction as possible. Sure she forgot stuff, but who doesn't? She is learning, I hope, that forgetting isn't the worst thing that can happen. Later on the street, Marvin Bram (also a college person) said the same thing to her - putting it in a much more positive light - saying that she was just choosing to let the dross slip from her memory. He is a sweetie!

After our delightful dinner (lunch) at Dallywater's, mom and I went to City Hall to reapply for the STAR program - a program that helps people on limited incomes pay a little less in property taxes. Yay! Mom had also been making noises about going to the second hand shop in town. And since we were out and about, it seemed like the perfect time for an excursion there. Sadly, she couldn't recall what exactly she had been hoping to find there - so it wasn't as great as it could have been. Nice little place, but I doubt I will be rushing back there anytime soon...

Next and last stop, Wal-Mart. I don't go out of my way to shop at Wal-Mart. It is, unfortunately, a necessary evil. If there were a Target, I would be more apt to shop there. Oh well. We make do with what we have...but I digress. We went for two reasons - one - mom and I both needed new sweat pants. I don't think one can ever have enough sweat pants. Ok, sure, one can, but we both could use another pair. And we both got some. Yippee! Mom actually got two pairs - but we are returning one as it was a tad tight. The other reason was to get a new coffee maker for mom. This one has only one button and has windows on the sides so you can see how much water you have put in. I think it will be great for her. Yay!

And that was the excitement here in Geneva. We had a dinner of leftover quiche, watched Chuck - I am sad that it is ending - and later watched an excellent version of Rhapsody in Blue - performed by the LA Philharmonic and Herbie Hancock - who was amazing!

How was your day?

Dallywater's Still Life 1

Dallywater's Still Life Two - frustrating when it doesn't rotate...grrrr

Rarebit and salad - yummy beets!

Mom and Susanne about to dig in!

The name says it all...

No comments: