Thursday, September 29, 2011

Shippin' Proof

That is a very, very slight pun - or some other sort of word play - but the fact is that the proofs for Diary of a Plate Addict shipped today - two days late, but better than not at all. Oops, just looked at CreateSpace's website and they are apparently done and ready to ship but haven't gone out the door yet. Hopefully they will get out today. That would be awesome!

Today I get to study Spanish in hopes of passing my Spanish exam tomorrow. I think I finally have the conjugations down for the regular verbs for preterite and imperfect. Maybe. Sorta. Kinda. We shall see.

Yesterday, mom and I went to Utica to see Kristen in her production of Young Frankenstein. I don't think I have ever been to Utica before. Not sure if I will ever go again. Not that it wasn't pleasant, but there is lots to explore that is closer to me than Utica. Two hours isn't far, but it isn't near either. On a side note, it rained a smidge on the way there around Syracuse, and on the way back there was a substantial amount of rain. Driving in the rain at night is not optimal. Sigh.

Anyway, we got out of the house at a reasonable time and drove to Utica. First stop, Nail Creek Pub and Brewery. It turns out, that they aren't a brewery...yet. Just a wannabe brewery. Still, it was a comfortable bar - very old school - mom loved the bathrooms. In fact, I will be surprised if she doesn't mention them at least once today. The space had an almost Irish pub feel to it. And on Wednesdays they have a special dinner - last night's was a chicken meal - for $10. Mom and I shared it and were both full afterwards. And I had a Saranac beer that I don't think I have had before - Wet Hop Ale or something like that. I think Saranac is right around there somewhere. So I guess I will be going back to Utica at some point in the future.

Next stop, the Stanley. An awesome old theatre! Really amazingly gorgeous inside. With a whole new set of infrastructure attached that has upgraded the building to accommodate modern load-in and -out. With an elevator! Mom and I had balcony seats - we were quite a distance from the stage - that'll teach me to wait to buy tickets - but we could see and hear pretty well. The rows were very close together, which though potentially painful was to be expected of a theatre of this vintage.

The show itself was very enjoyable. I do need to see the movie again - probably ought to have watched it before going - still, it was fun. Kristen is a member of the ensemble and did a lot of great singing and dancing. We met up afterwards and chatted for a while in her hotel's bar. She is off to Worcester for the official opening and then 44 more cities or something ridiculous like that. I will look forward to checking in with her as the year passes. Doing shows like that are one of the reasons that I chose not to be a professional performer!

All in all, we survived the experience, which is always to the good.

Oh, a weird thing happened - mom woke my up this morning to tell me that the car's flashers were on. I knew I hadn't put them on. I thought perhaps she did without realizing it. Then I recalled that I hadn't seen the GPS on the windshield - it had fallen down and landed on the button to turn the flashers on. Ta da! Sadly, no gremlins. :(

Pictures from September 28, 2011:

A view from the Nail Creek Brewery and Pub! I wonder if Utica Club is truly brewed right there!

The door to Nail Creek

The yummy menu for their Wednesday night Grub.

Some vintage playboy cartoons in the bathroom - I actually remember the first one from seeing it many years ago.

Our yummy dinner - I especially liked the parmesan toast!

Some of the taps at Nail Creek

The Stanley Marquee

An inside picture of The Stanley

The obligatory Kristen and Mom picture

2 comments:

naturegirl said...

So much to catch up on, Obviously it has been a busy week for both of us :) at least productive for me. I have had three job interviews, or so I should say I made it to round 3 LOL.. The final round having to write training material on a particular topic and present it. WOOWOO .. Done and presented this am. Now, I sit and play the wait game.

Happy to read the book is on it's next phase of the journey!! Yippee!!!

Si mi amigo.. I LOVE theater.. partially, mayhaps.. I grew up sort of speak on stage.. the San Carlo OPERA stage in Naples Italy. I was a ballet dancer and continued to dance well into my 30's .. No more.. now it yoga and pilates #age has its moments.. Aside from ballet, opera is my passion. shhh not very many know that ... cause I am also an outdoorsey kinda person.

Nice photo's .. what beers did you sample? I had a purple haze from PA last evening.. not bad a pale wheat.. also tryed a fruit beer a first for me , I think it was from California.

Spanish... hopefully you got this down!!! sounds mayhaps you do!
I wish you LOT's of luck.
Now don't forget to stretch the fingers....

Augustus said...

My mom likes opera more than I. I like comic operas, but there aren't enough of those - we sometimes go to live in HD presentations of Operas from the Met. They are starting up again in a couple of Saturdays!

Congratulations on the job interview and submission. Waiting is not always enjoyable...

I like purple haze - I generally am not a fan of wheat beers, but that one is ok - and I am sad that you don't remember which fruit beer you had. :(

I hope to do ok on the Spanish exam. I have been studying and feel a lot better than I did before the composition!