Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bad Augustus

Sit. Stay. Rollover. Play Dead. I am just a bad, bad Augustus in so many ways. So I am going to wear my hair shirt and get out my cat-o-nine tails for a little bit of self-flagellation. Yippee!

So, I know I am not really bad, in the great scheme of things. Still, being mean to my mom is not going to get me into anyone's heaven. I wanted an Adventure yesterday. I told mom and her reaction was "ok." Not what I was hoping for. What I was hoping for was "oh, I just don't feel up to it, I can't do it, whine, whine, whine." Then I would say, "That's ok - I will put a plate together for you for dinner and will plan to be back by ten or so tonight. Bye!" Unfortunately I got "ok." So I had to change my plans for what constituted an Adventure, from one that I would enjoy to one that mom would enjoy. She has been on me for a week or two to go see Helen Mirren's latest movie, "The Debt." So I decided that would be one part of the adventure. The other part would be something more to my liking, but still good for mom - going to a seafood restaurant that neither of us had been to in Canandaigua, called Schoonover's.

The first part went ok. I dragged mom away from Tennis (Federer lost anyway) and got her to the theatre on time. The movie was ok, not great. Had a few good twists and if you like Helen Mirren, WWII stuff or thrillers, then you will probably enjoy this movie. Netflix or Redbox will do - it doesn't have to be seen in the theatre. Anyway. We left the movie and I made a reservation for 7 at the restaurant. We were about half an hour away, which would have been perfect timing. But mom had to go to the bathroom. And no, she couldn't go back into the theatre. And no she couldn't go in the restaurant, she had to go home to go to the bathroom. And that just broke me. I just couldn't be patient and nice. Instead of saying, sure, heck, why not. Let's go and get you all pooped in the privacy and comfort of your own home and then go to dinner, I started calling her a wimp and whiney pants and a little kid. All of which are true, but I don't need to say those things to her. I told her, and this I mean, that I will not take her anyplace that she does not want to go. If she wants to go somewhere, do something, I will of course take her there. But I am not going to take her on adventures that I am interested in doing. That means that my adventures will have to be short ones that I can do in a day or an afternoon or evening, around her schedule. But I am not going to take her. I don't want her whining "Not another beer place" anymore. She refuses to be the strong human she can be and it is making me very frustrated. I normally let stuff (big and small) slide off my back (since I am a duck, generally) but maybe it was the moon, maybe I was hungry, maybe it was all the adrenaline from the movie (which did have its exciting bits). Who knows. I just lost it. Reached a breaking point. Luckily for me, I get over things quickly. Slow to anger, quick to let it go. Yippee!

So that was my first badness. My second, not so bad badness, was staying up most of the night to read The Hunger Games. Entertaining book, though a bit young for me. Still, I enjoyed it. And I have to read the next two by Wednesday as that is when the last one is due back in the library with no chance of time extension. Sigh. Ok, I don't have to read it by then. I do have other options - that one is just the most dramatic. :)

Today, Spanish homework. And reading. :) Happy September 11th everyone!

Photo from Saturday, September 10:
Huh, I didn't know that there was an 'add caption' option! Anyway, I don't know this application sometimes doesn't find the rotated version of an iPhoto picture. Oh well. And I was planning more pictures of the restaurant, but those didn't happen...

2 comments:

Summerhill said...

It was the moon yesterday. Annoying all around.

Augustus said...

Thank you! I feel better now! :)