Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tackled One Desk

The work to clean up the house continues. There is a desk in the dining room that used to be quite valuable. Until the big leak in the attic demolished it. My brother Ernst somehow managed to bring it back to life! Go Ernst! Anyway, it has always been an accumulator of disorganization. The intentions are good, but the results are scary! Last night I got in there and did a little spring cleaning. I actually have two of the drawers left to do, but neither of them is too frightening. I found, literally, 8 rolls of scotch tape from various eras. And I can't count the pens and tops of pens and capless pens that I found. Testing those is for another time as well. Something I do look forward to. In amongst the stuff, I found the second of mom's Camera batteries! Huzzah! I might just have to "borrow" mom's camera. Especially if I can find the cable that links it to computers. My camera, though I love it dearly (I have had it since 2002) is not optimal. Not bad, just not great. Mom's is only a little younger - I think 2005 or so - I bought it for her at a now defunct Circuit City in Raleigh. We shall see. She might feel it is another kick in her independence and usefulness for me to use her camera.

I had another little epiphany. Well two. First, if I am caregiving, which I think I am, sort of, then that is sort of a job. Now, I am not bathing mom or washing her hair or dressing her. Thank the Universe that she is still capable of all of those things. But I am doing a few things for her. So, although not gainfully employed, I am employed. In a way.

The second is that, if I can't find anyone to stay with mom when I go to sign books, which I hope to be doing in July it looks like at this point, maybe August (sigh), I will just take her with me. She traveled pretty well to Atlantic City. And I can work it so that none of our drives are much over 6 hours. That gets us up and out at a reasonable time and then shacked up in time for dinner and an activity if we want one. She doesn't need to do 500 miles in a day - and I will be more apt to stop and smell the roses. And who knows, she might garner me a few sympathy sales! And I will take all the sales I can get.

Speaking of sales, I have lots of sale ideas. I am working on the website so that people can pay with pay pal if they want to. I had an idea to give UFO members and MOU members discounted prices. And of course bundle pricing. We shall see.

Today is Sunday and I haven't thought of any plans for the day. I might do some neatening here and there. I think I will do laundry tomorrow. Oh, it is trash night here in Geneva. And I might pop up to Walmart. And get a chicken for dinner - which reminds be - I need to go through the refrigerator and clean it out again. And look in the freezer and see what all is in there.

Not looking forward to cleaning out my house in NC. Luckily, not the entire house, just my room. Still, I think I need at least 10 plastic containers to do that. Maybe I will buy a few of those today.

Here are the pictures from May 21, 2011:


Our local movie theatre was obviously excited about the Pirates movie...


Dessert at Friendly's. Yum!

2 comments:

Sam said...

Caring for an aging parent is absolutely employment. & I bet that if you looked for a job in Geneva / environs they would really be sympathetic to a story of "quit my job to move here to take care of my mother, now things are in place for her and I'm looking to start working again" ... it would even be true ...

Interesting that you're kind of taking to caregiving work, given that it is what Karl is moving into in terms of his occupation ... did it come up as an idea when you had that brainstorming session with all your friends?

Augustus said...

Therapist came up a couple of times - I am thinking of going back to school for that - I don't know. I just don't know... :) I would like a job that I only have to work at a few hours a week and make a few hundred dollars. That would be groovy. :-)