Thursday, May 12, 2011

Atlantic City Day One-ish

We got up and out at a reasonable time. Mom had packed the night before for the most part. Heck, we are only going to not be in the house for one full day! How much does anyone need for that amount of time? I must admit to packing light in most instances. Especially since most times one can make do with much less than one thinks.

Before we left Geneva, we stopped at the post office and I mailed three copies of Diary of a Plate Addict out to three Flying Saucers. I chose Raleigh, Nashville and Austin as the first three. I hope that the toner is at the house when I get back so that I can print out the rest and get those in the mail. Meanwhile, back on the home front, sort of, I am planning on going through the book this weekend and sending my thoughts and comments to Heather. Lucky woman!

The drive was pretty easy. We took 476 for quite a bit of Pennsylvania which was much better than taking 81! I dislike 81 for some reason. Not vehemently, but a bit. It just seems to have more construction than any other road. My GPS also sent us through downtown Philadelphia at rush hour which wasn't as terrible as it could have been, but also added about 30 minutes to our journey. Mom only slept for about half an hour of the 5.5 hours. And we stopped so she could "rest" once. All in all, as I said, it was pretty easy.

The hotel was quite noticeable! A huge older building that could do with remodeling. Our first room was waaaay down a corridor, so I got one that was closer to the elevators. Not the greatest place, but inexpensive, which makes up for it. :)

We almost immediately headed out to dinner. Dock's Oyster House is an establishment of great repute in Atlantic City. In fact, I recalled that I had been there once before a few years back. With Daniel and Stephanie. Weird. Anyway, mom wanted a meal to make up for the teeny little lobster tails she had had at the Cobblestone. She ended up with Fluke - which was pretty tasty. I had tuna. A fun time. There was a guy next to us who ordered two lobsters for himself - eeek! And not little ones - one was 4.5 lbs. and one was 5.5 lbs. He had wanted a 10 pound lobster, but there wasn't one. Goodness! I went over and asked his wife if she was getting even a piece of claw. She misheard me and gave me a potato chip. It was a good potato chip! (Well, pommes fritte)

Today is the day we are going to see 42nd Street. The plan is to head into town around lunch time, suss out the situation, have a little food and see the show. Yippee!

Oh, and on the Plenty of Fish subject, I have actually gotten a few nibbles, though most of them have seemed to slip the hook. (To continue the metaphor by someone who knows almost nothing about fishing...)

Pictures from May 11, 2011:


Mom's stuff in the trunk.


Our lovely hotel.


Our dining location.

More pictures will be posted in an album on Facebook devoted to this little adventure. Now, don't be too excited!