Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Frabjous Day

Last night I didn't get to sleep until almost 2 am. Not for any bad reason. I stayed up and played for a while. Then I read a bit before going to sleep. I read or heard somewhere that staring at an electronic screen (television or computer) was not the best thing to do right before sleeping. I am reading the relationship book that my ex-sort-of-girlfriend wanted us both to read. I don't think she ever read it. It had one very memorable bit so far, the bit where it suggested that people with addictions shouldn't be in relationships leading to marriage. Which probably, in Dr. Warren's mind, means that they oughtn't to procreate. Since you aren't supposed to have sexual intercourse until after marriage. And yes, addiction to nicotine was one of the addictions he cited! Eeek. What part of the population does that eliminate from the dating pool? Anyway, I am now about to read the parts about which people are more easily educated or or can change. Yippee.

Well, what got me started was a phone call. This morning at 6:15 am (or so) my housemate called me to tell me that there was a water leak in the house. Yippee! I love it when things like this happen. The last time there was a leak, it turned out that the drainage thingie under the water heater in the attic (who on earth thought that was a good idea) (ok, maybe it saves some money on electricity, but still...) got clogged. Hopefully that is all that it will be. Or maybe a pipe breaking, like it did back in '02. (2002, not 1902 - I am old, just not that old...). That leak wasn't discovered until I returned from a trip and caused $10k or $15k in damage. Not a great thing, but interesting and fun overall. The sad thing is that Daniel, my housemate's son, saw the leak last night at 9 pm and decided to not tell anyone. Apparently his mom had gone to bed and for some reason he didn't want to call me. Yet when the internet wasn't working in the house, he had no qualms about calling. I guess the water wasn't going to get the xBox wet! :) Seriously, though, not a big deal. I am sure that 8 hours of extra water damage won't be that much more expensive to fix.

I have called the insurance company and they are supposed to call me back. It could happen. But it has been an hour and no call yet. So much for the advertisement. The man I spoke with had no sense of humor. I said "So, if I sing the jingle, this will all be taken care of?" He said, "I don't know. That is a different department." Maybe he did have a sense of humor after all. Next on my list is to call a couple of friends to see if they can help out since I am not there. We shall see.

Oh, I had a pleasant day yesterday. I drove to Syracuse (about an hour away) to go to a brew-pub type place. I yelped about it if anyone is interested. Ended up actually going to two places that were almost next door to each other. The first one had better beer, but was a bit pretentious and over priced. The other was more down to earth, but the beer had no oomph. Oh well. I did see a very cute woman in each of the two places though. That always makes me happy.

Moving on to pictures...Pictures from May 2, 2011:


Better beer from Empire Brewing Company. I liked the Maple Porter especially.


The beer wasn't as good at The Syracuse Suds Factory, but I still enjoyed myself.


We had a fajita platter for dinner - my favorite server Tana has apparently moved to a 4 star restaurant here in town.

No comments: