Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Trying to keep it simple

I hate talking about money. Really, really hate it. It gets my blood boiling in fact. Mom loves to talk about money. I tend to answer a few of her questions and then remind/tell her that I don't like talking about money. She usually drops it. For a little while.

Other times, she asks questions and I know that the answers don't really make much difference. For instance, paying for the dentist - mom's question - did it cost a lot - my answer - yes. Or no. Depending on my mood. I gave her a dollar amount once and she got all confused. She can't really tell the difference between $10 and $1000.

I just try to keep my answers as simple as I can. And I aim for truth most of the time. Not that it really matters since she, sadly, will probably forget that she asked the question and what the answer was. I mainly want to make her feel as if she has been listened to. And that her questions get answers. Validation. :)

Speaking of hating talking about money, I saw a cool presentation on an alternate financial system - one that does not stem from a debt based economy. Not many details but it sure looked better than the evil system we have now...(I was going to link to the video but can't find it - apparently a decent sized group of people also dislike the current financial system - but changing it isn't going to happen easily (or quickly if ever, sadly))(I love parenthetical comments...)(And ellipses!)

Effective day yesterday - I got a lot done. Fought my way (gently) into two bank accounts online that I haven't accessed in a while (three years for one and at least 5 years for the other). Paid more bills, organized a few papers, put together more Publisher's Clearing House entries...Yay!

Went downtown and watched a friend eat dinner - that was exciting. No, it was, really. Maybe exciting isn't the right word. The evening was way more pleasant than I am making it sound. Anyway, we had a nice time and that is a good thing. Good days - gotta love them! Today, off to the eye doctor and perhaps some shopping. I need some new clothes - underwear especially! (Did you need to know that?)

No comments: